CO2 Scrubber Questions

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just installed my Apex (yay) and I am getting around 7.88 pH. It’s a freshly cycled tank without any photosynthesis occurring. I plan to run a fuge opposite to my DT lights so hopefully we get a pretty steady pH in the future.

Anywho,
I am thinking about adding a CO2 scrubber and I have heard of people adding a solenoid to their Apex to open to ambient air whenever pH is above 8.3.

Those who have a CO2 scrubber: Do you ever actually run into problems where your pH is too high because of it? Or should I not even worry about it for now and just get the scrubber and add a solenoid if I do have some problems?

Also, since I run an OCTO 110SSS with a standpipe, how do I adjust my skimmer if the air line is hooked up to the scrubber?

Finally, OCTO sells a cap that has a recirculating barb attached to it for $30… Can I not just drill a hole in my cap and stick the inlet hose in? Maybe silicone a barb onto it to keep the hose from falling in and vacuuming out crap water into the scrubber?

Thanks all

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about pH until you have more of an ecosystem. pH has a tendency to not be too stable in the beginning. Besides, 7.88 is not bad at all.

If you do end up with lower pH, you can just lower the co2 in your home and do the same thing as a co2 scrubber. I know that it is h e double hockey sticks out in most of the US right now, but an extra few cents of AC electricity to cool down some fresh air is much cheaper than buying a reactor, media, shipping it and all of that. You can pick a cool time to exchange air... warmer time in the winter.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about pH until you have more of an ecosystem. pH has a tendency to not be too stable in the beginning. Besides, 7.88 is not bad at all.

If you do end up with lower pH, you can just lower the co2 in your home and do the same thing as a co2 scrubber. I know that it is h e double hockey sticks out in most of the US right now, but an extra few cents of AC electricity to cool down some fresh air is much cheaper than buying a reactor, media, shipping it and all of that. You can pick a cool time to exchange air... warmer time in the winter.
My tanks are in the basement so I have notoriously 7.9 pH. This tank is right above a window so maybe I can open that up. I have been getting hit with the Canada fire smog lately so my AQI is very terrible this summer. So I have been running the AC. I will wait and see what happens with the pH

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Co2 scrubber with an external air line going to the scrubber and the a line to the skimmer. This brings in fresh air and the scrubber boost my PH since we are pretty much closed up all the time. I also run a ceiling fan to help with air circulation.

If you are sitting at a 7.9 you are good.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back