CO2 Scrubber-should I get one?

blebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know you shouldn’t chase pH, but I just watched the BRStv episode about scrubbers and wonder if I should get one. My pH runs between 7.8-7.9 in my 40g fowlr tank. Alk is 11, Ca 490. It’s going to be an LPS dominant tank and I’m planning ahead. I’m almost positive it’s a CO2 issue. An air line outside is impossible. I’ve been seeing info that corals calcify better at a higher pH. What does everyone think?

you answered this yourself. dont chase ph. youre well within normal limits.

tbh the more i leave my tank alone, the better it does. the bad things happen when i try to screw around with stuff to make it "better".

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dual t-5’s up and running. The pH has climbed a little. I think the lighting is going to help. There’s plenty of time to tinker. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to make my own testing using a co2 scrubber, being I noticed my PH has dipped down to 7.7 at some days. I had a brand new 550 TLF Phosban reactor laying around and inspecting it closely I noticed it should work well for the purpose.

I checked the time when I put it online and followed a graph on my Apex’s Ph probe to see what I find. I found absolutely no climb on Ph and I loaded the full reactor with Co2 absorbing media.

The only time my Ph rised was when my DOS started dosing alk. Im mad at myself as I ordered more media from BRS before realizing I had some left for this test. I might return it as it showed useless to me.

Im thinking kalk is an option for a steady 8.3 but the hassle of its maintenance makes me wonder what other options I have?

3875DF64-05E7-4E0E-B230-D3BFF6F5C55B.jpeg

C86255A6-1AA2-4215-B20B-3BCD9CEF6ABC.jpeg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything checks in fine. Salinity 1.025/ alk 8.0/450 Ca/1400 Mg. Nitrate and Phos are low too.
My Ph was 8.1 most of the days but at times it would drop to 7.68 so i figured would give the co2scrubber a try... its hooked to my skimz skimmer which is an air drawing beast so really not much to go wrong elsewhere

Back