CO2 Scrubber-should I get one?

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't miss the point -- Kalkwasser significantly raises pH, and it's significantly cheaper than c02 media. Through different actions, it achieves the same goal. And costs pennies by comparison.

A lot of people who have low pH issues run Kalkwasser to help. Especially people who run calcium reactors with only a single CalRx reactor.

Yes, we are aware that kalk raises ph. If you didn't miss the point, explain to us how kalk is going to raise the ph while not affecting calcium or alkalinity levels?

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. For a 40g a scrubber would be manageable costwise? I have a 2-bulb t-5 fixture on the way to help with this until I get coral. I’ll let everyone know how it goes!
Sure can be I personally use a 20 oz Gatorade bottle with holes drilled in the bottom and the air tubing to my skimmer comes in through the cap. I use https://tinyurl.com/ybktxxnx to fill the bottle top with a bit of filter floss to keep the pellets from getting to rowdy. A 3lb bag last my 75g about 5-6 + months. Took my PH from 7.8-8.0 up to 8.15-8.36. I use seneye to watch PH change it out when I see it start dropping lower than usual.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, we are aware that kalk raises ph. If you didn't miss the point, explain to us how kalk is going to raise the ph while not affecting calcium or alkalinity levels?

You lower your two part dosing amount... This isn't rocket surgery, I'm assuming you all are intelligent human beings capable of connecting dots without someone holding your hand. Common sense kids -- use it.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lower your two part dosing amount... This isn't rocket surgery, I'm assuming you all are intelligent human beings capable of connecting dots without someone holding your hand. Common sense kids -- use it.
Personally I understand that Kalk is going to raise PH but this is often a short raise and not going to be a stable rise. Its also relatively inexpensive to set up a carbon reactor(if you DIY). Cost of a wide bottle and the soda lime, I typically can find 3lb bags for 7-10 dollars if bought at the right time. I dont see why you would want to throw your tank chemistry balance out of wack just to raise ph.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why you would want to throw your tank chemistry balance out of wack just to raise ph.

I've never seen co2 scrubbing media for less than like $50 for a few lbs, so that's good! Another thing to consider is it can/will slightly hamper your skimmers efficiency, which is just as detrimental.

I'm not the one trying to raise pH firstly, second you are supposed to do a slow 24/7 dip not a dose every x hours. Lastly, a low drip has so little impact you may not even be able to see a difference in testing.

This is not complicated.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider is it can/will slightly hamper your skimmers efficiency, which is just as detrimental.
Got any data on that, from my understanding raising O2 levels helps skimmer efficiency.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen co2 scrubbing media for less than like $50 for a few lbs, so that's good! Another thing to consider is it can/will slightly hamper your skimmers efficiency, which is just as detrimental.

I'm not the one trying to raise pH firstly, second you are supposed to do a slow 24/7 dip not a dose every x hours. Lastly, a low drip has so little impact you may not even be able to see a difference in testing.

This is not complicated.

Except you are complicating it.

Even if you have a dirt cheap setup, say just throw a couple of tablespoons of kalk into your ato, your setup is now more complicated than a CO2 scrubber. Running kalk requires regular cleaning, maintenance and would need to be added more often than a CO2 scrubber media needs replaced (CO2 media will last 2-4 weeks I bet on a 40B). A CO2 scrubber has no moving parts, and has no risk of nuking the tank. As it was mentioned earlier, clean a pop-bottle, add some CO2 media, and then run your skimmer-airline to it. After a month or so you can decide for yourself if it helps/is worth it and all you would be out really is the cost of the media (So don't buy in bulk your first time lol). It is absolutely, without a doubt, a less complicated setup.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any data on that, from my understanding raising O2 levels helps skimmer efficiency.

Common sense -- You attach a hose to your skimmer and connect it through media, you are hampering the skimmers air draw.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree, the media is unusually expensive. BRS has a jug for $50: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-color-changing-medical-grade-co2-absorbent.html

Nine (9) lb. jug will give you seven (7) standard cartridge refills.

7 cartridge refills would last me about 4-6 months on my 55gal w/20gal sump running a reef octopus elite skimmer.

As for hampering the skimmer's efficiency, good. My skimmer is way over-powered for my tank and strips the water too clean. I've resorted to only running it for 12 hours at night to get my nitrates up from undetectable.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common sense -- You attach a hose to your skimmer and connect it through media, you are hampering the skimmers air draw.
Except your not limiting the air intake if using a reactor right. The DIY scrubber I am speaking of can allow much more air into the media than the hose pulling to the skimmer will be able to pull.

DIvid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the media is unusually expensive. BRS has a jug for $50: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-color-changing-medical-grade-co2-absorbent.html

Nine (9) lb. jug will give you seven (7) standard cartridge refills.

7 cartridge refills would last me about 4-6 months on my 55gal w/20gal sump running a reef octopus elite skimmer.

As for hampering the skimmer's efficiency, good. My skimmer is way over-powered for my tank and strips the water too clean. I've resorted to only running it for 12 hours at night to get my nitrates up from undetectable.
I cannot speak on their product I've been using https://tinyurl.com/ybktxxnx from the vendor that has it least expensive at the time. 7-10$$ for 3lb is my typical price. Mileage may vary with this media depending on how much CO2 is in the room/where your air is coming from.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot speak on their product I've been using https://tinyurl.com/ybktxxnx from the vendor that has it least expensive at the time. 7-10$$ for 3lb is my typical price. Mileage may vary with this media depending on how much CO2 is in the room/where your air is coming from.

Ordered a couple bags and gonna give it a shot. Thanks!

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive ran a reactor and never found results claimed. I also have an Apex so I monitored closely, and ran it on an all sps tank. Corals grew the same and keeping up with the media at the rate it exhausts is a big $ problem, as it isnt cheap and needs to be replaced every two weeks(my case).

You are better off getting air in the house where the tank is.

That's not always a practical option in a hot humid environment or where pollution could be an issue. I have also found the longevity of media can be extended exponentially by using an APEX controlled bypass and drawing moist air from your skimmer cup. Those two changes made CO2 scrubbing viable on my tank.

In my experience (please see https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-experience-raising-ph.394826/), spanning your alkalinity and kalk dosing in conjunction with a C02 scrubber not only raises pH to the desired level but also stabilises it so you don't get the big swings during night and day. The scrubber is definitely doing the heavy lifting though. My pH sits between 8.30 to 8.35.

I have posted pictures and details of my setup in Clownfishy's thread. Very easy to implement and effective if outside air is not an option.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That logic is flawed. There is only a certain amount of air that a particular skimmer is capable of drawing and the amount available through the media might still hit it's maximum potential intake.

I use a scrubber and if the skimmer's air intake was being restricted I would have noticed a change in the level in the skimmer body, but it didn't change at all.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there were tests with real and precise procedures showing before/after, all other factors remaining the same.

BRS did say their corals grew 30% or similar faster with the scrubber , but IMO if such results were proven it would be foolish for everyone to not use this media.
This media has been used for a good while and still the majority of sps keepers don't seem to care for it (as far as I can tell).

In theory I get it could work, but measured results to grant 30% increase seem a bit high IMHO.

Maybe someone can have more insight of testing?

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there were tests with real and precise procedures showing before/after, all other factors remaining the same.

BRS did say their corals grew 30% or similar faster with the scrubber , but IMO if such results were proven it would be foolish for everyone to not use this media.
This media has been used for a good while and still the majority of sps keepers don't seem to care for it (as far as I can tell).

In theory I get it could work, but measured results to grant 30% increase seem a bit high IMHO.

Maybe someone can have more insight of testing?

Yeah, if only there was such a way to continuously monitor pH and see, via graph form preferably, how much a CO2 scrubber affects pH. o_O

Did they really say a 30% increase in growth? I would lose some respect for them considering that is pretty speculative. More like a .3 INCREASE IN PH.

I'll let the audience answer this one - When did the CO2 media deplete itself and when did I change it?

upload_2018-6-26_20-11-59.png

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used kalk before and it didn’t work for me. Keeping it properly mixed was a pain since I don’t have a stirrer. It was also tough on my tubing. I’ll start with the lights and keep using the 2-part, although right now I don’t have to dose Ca. I think this kind of tinkering is fun. I’ll keep everyone posted!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are various ways to raise pH,a nd there are various papers int eh scientific literature showing lower pH leads to lower calcification rates. It's not a BRS idea.

A scrubber is only one way to raise pH, and I didn't need it for my pH to be plenty high (8.35 to 8.50).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used kalk before and it didn’t work for me. Keeping it properly mixed was a pain since I don’t have a stirrer. !

Limewater does not need constant stirring (actually, that tends to deplete it if it is not completely sealed from air), and IMO, the best way is to dose from a settled reservoir if you have room.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back