CO2 scrubber sizing

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is bigger better? Have a 75 gallon display, and looking to add a scrubber. Is there a guideline for size and media capacity? Or is it just a matter of how frequently you want to change the media out?

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is just based on how frequent you want to change the media.
Based on my experiences, the small reactor seems be more efficient at media depletion. I currently have Icecap Medium for my 105gal tank and the media isn't fully depleted when the pH starting to drop (vs.the smaller BRS would almost all depleted when the pH started to drop).
If I have to do it again, I would go for the smaller Icecap. Media is expensive and changing them isn't too bad.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly it is just a matter of how frequently you want to change the media out. The size of your tank doesn't matter, but the size of your protein skimmer does--the amount of air it sucks in is how quickly your CO2 media will be absorbed. Using a regular CO2 scrubbing canister that's the same size as a typical RODI canister will probably last a few weeks to a month, depending on your home CO2 levels.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is just based on how frequent you want to change the media.
Based on my experiences, the small reactor seems be more efficient at media depletion. I currently have Icecap Medium for my 105gal tank and the media isn't fully depleted when the pH starting to drop (vs.the smaller BRS would almost all depleted when the pH started to drop).
If I have to do it again, I would go for the smaller Icecap. Media is expensive and changing them isn't too bad.

Mostly it is just a matter of how frequently you want to change the media out. The size of your tank doesn't matter, but the size of your protein skimmer does--the amount of air it sucks in is how quickly your CO2 media will be absorbed. Using a regular CO2 scrubbing canister that's the same size as a typical RODI canister will probably last a few weeks to a month, depending on your home CO2 levels.
Thanks guys- I think I’m going to go with the BRS regular size reactor but use the IceCap media. Just need something to help my kalk dosing bring to 8.3 without dosing more than my evap rate. Cheers.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! It would most likely to help increase pH.
I am dosing Kalwasser (via Avast Stirrer) and ebay CO2 media.

Attachments

• IMG_20221004_092508.jpg
    IMG_20221004_092508.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 18
Back