CO2 scrubber with outside airline

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the attempt to get my pH a little higher about a month ago I added a BRS CO2 scrubber and the BRS media. My skimmers airline is already drawing in outside air so I wasn’t sure how much of a difference it would make. When I added the scrubber I saw no change to my pH at all. I know the CO2 level would be lower outside, but in that month I have not seen the media change color at all.
I have read several threads recently about the media from around that time from BRS not properly changing color. Now I’m starting to wonder if it’s possible that there may have been an issue with my media.
So for anyone who has added a CO2 scrubber to an outside airline did you see an increase in pH?

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank pH went from 7.8-7.9 to 8.0-8.1 with outside air to skimmer. Now it is consistently 8.2-8.4 with outside air and CO2 scrubber. I am using Icecap Reactor with Ebay CO2 Media.
Mine is in the 7.8-8.1 range but again the scrubber made no difference. Anyway you could share a link of what eBay media you’re using?

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised it didn't make any difference. My pH went up within about 2-3 hours after the installation. Maybe check to make sure there isn't leak in the line. Plus maybe the level of CO2 in your house is relatively higher than before?Sure, I purchased this based on great reviews/recommendations. By the way, it was only $104 six month ago

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised it didn't make any difference. My pH went up within about 2-3 hours after the installation. Maybe check to make sure there isn't leak in the line. Plus maybe the level of CO2 in your house is relatively higher than before?Sure, I purchased this based on great reviews/recommendations. By the way, it was only $104 six month ago
Thanks. I had heard mention of Jorvet brand from another thread, but honestly I had forgotten about it. I’m not sure that I want to buy that quantity until I see if it will help but they have 4 three pounds bags for $40 that I think I’m going to order and see if it helps.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it will work. My 2.2lbs Medium Icecap lasted about 4 weeks (media color changed and pH will only peak around 8.2).
It is up to you but buying the 5gal is way more economical!

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure it will work. My 2.2lbs Medium Icecap lasted about 4 weeks (media color changed and pH will only peak around 8.2).
It is up to you but buying the 5gal is way more economical!
Even the 12 pounds for $40 is way cheaper than BRS media. Hopefully it works then I’ll buy the bigger jug.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Natural_Reefer
Okay so the jug is 16.5kg which is roughly 36 pounds for $130 which is $3.61 per pound.
The other one is (4) 3 lb bags so 12 pounds for $40 or $3.33 per pound.

The smaller quantity is slightly cheaper for now at least.
Great! Thank you for doing the calculations. I was looking for the weight of the 5gal container but could not find anything.
The Icecap Reactor comes with 2.2lbs media. I lasted about a week longer than Jorvet but I don't think it is worth since the 2.2lbs is $12 at BRS.
BTW, you could get the 5gal cheaper here with only $5 shipping.
1663868934548.png

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! Thank you for doing the calculations. I was looking for the weight of the 5gal container but could not find anything.
The Icecap Reactor comes with 2.2lbs media. I lasted about a week longer than Jorvet but I don't think it is worth since the 2.2lbs is $12 at BRS.
BTW, you could get the 5gal cheaper here with only $5 shipping.
1663868934548.png
I just zoomed in on the picture of the jug to see that it said 16.5 kg. I am assuming that is right but I don’t actually know for a fact.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered the Jarvet 5 gallon jug off eBay several months ago (about $105 shipped). It works great and changes color as expected. The media definitely makes a difference in my pH. However, the outside line did not make a difference. Currently, I have it configured for recirculation. I think the jug weighed about 38 pounds when full. pH without the scrubber is around 7.8 and with scrubber around 8.1-8.2. 100g tank, media lasts around 10 days.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Jarvet 5 gallon jug off eBay several months ago (about $105 shipped). It works great and changes color as expected. The media definitely makes a difference in my pH. However, the outside line did not make a difference. Currently, I have it configured for recirculation. I think the jug weighed about 38 pounds when full. pH without the scrubber is around 7.8 and with scrubber around 8.1-8.2. 100g tank, media lasts around 10 days.
I saw about a .2 increase in my pH when I switched to outside air, but it still only brought me up to around 7.8-8.1.
I have been considering switching to a higher pH 2 part but I really don’t like the idea of leaving lye solution sitting around in my dosing containers just waiting on me to accidentally knock it over.
Plus I asked Randy if my dosing containers would be fine with the lye solution in them in regards to melting and his answer wasn’t very reassuring.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer because my media never helped so I never replaced it.
I think it is greatly depending on tank size, skimmer size (air exchange rate) and more importantly how much CO2 is in the air.
Reason i ask is i have a low ph and im not running the line outside. That would be some serious demo and work. Ive opened a window for a few days also and it did nothing. I dose Kalkwasser and it does nothing. It may just be one of those things it is what it is.

OP
OP
Gtinnel

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason i ask is i have a low ph and im not running the line outside. That would be some serious demo and work. Ive opened a window for a few days also and it did nothing. I dose Kalkwasser and it does nothing. It may just be one of those things it is what it is.
I’m not expert but opening the window usually helps and if it didn’t I don’t know if a scrubber will either. It works by lowering the CO2 in the skimmers air but if lowering the CO2 in your house by opening a window didn’t help then I’m not sure if a scrubber will either.
I also don’t see how using kalk didn’t help it’s dripping a high pH solution directly into the water.
What are you measuring pH with and are you sure your issue isn’t with testing errors.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not expert but opening the window usually helps and if it didn’t I don’t know if a scrubber will either. It works by lowering the CO2 in the skimmers air but if lowering the CO2 in your house by opening a window didn’t help then I’m not sure if a scrubber will either.
I also don’t see how using kalk didn’t help it’s dripping a high pH solution directly into the water.
What are you measuring pH with and are you sure your issue isn’t with testing errors.

Salifert test kit says 7.6-7.8 to.
99CE917E-89F5-4C86-B2DC-A53DCAFB02D1.jpeg

radfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set one up three weeks ago using BRS media and saw no ph change, and media is not changing color.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back