OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah. Good luck everyone has thier own methods of having a green thumb. At least you realize you are chasing a number
I used to dose PH based, now I simplified it and dose a set amount of kalk during lights out. I feel like I was chasing it, now I’m just observing it and trying to simplify the process.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say now you are doing it correctly. Before you were at the mercy of probe drifting and taking out your tank
Right. Which I’ve learned from experiences that a $30 probe has way too much control. I’d rather get my system to a point that I’m comfortable enough with what’s going into my tank that a PH reading will be unnecessary, other than a failsafe to alert me if something drastic has happened. Kinda like an airbag, and not a steering wheel, if that makes sense.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose kalk to maintain calcium and alk. See what the pH is. If you want to change it, focus in indoor air next. If that does not work, then co2 scrubber or fuge - fuge on reverse light cycle if necessary.

If you don't want exchange indoor air, and you should since it is no issue even in cold and hot climates, then outside air into a skimmer can help.

I have yet to see a tank with good indoor air that had pH issues... especially when dosing kalk.

I would also get a second source for pH measurement beyond a pH probe. A good pH pen from Amazon has been a more reliable tool for me - I just calibrate and then rinse it off in tap when I am done.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose kalk to maintain calcium and alk. See what the pH is. If you want to change it, focus in indoor air next. If that does not work, then co2 scrubber or fuge - fuge on reverse light cycle if necessary.

If you don't want exchange indoor air, and you should since it is no issue even in cold and hot climates, then outside air into a skimmer can help.

I have yet to see a tank with good indoor air that had pH issues... especially when dosing kalk.

I would also get a second source for pH measurement beyond a pH probe. A good pH pen from Amazon has been a more reliable tool for me - I just calibrate and then rinse it off in tap when I am done.
I have no way to get outside air other than opening windows. Living in New Hampshire I get to do that in Spring and Fall. Currently have 2 PH probes in my system and a Hanna PH pen to spot check my tank and kalk vessel. Have a large fuge packed wall to wall with chaeto and other miscellaneous nuisance algaes, and stuff growing, on a reverse light cycle. Historically my tanks have really not done well, and I started to pay attention to PH and now have much better growth and PE, as opposed to scratching my head wondering why euphyllia were withering away and SPS dying. So, paying attention to PH has been working out for my systems as it runs very low without a fuge, scrubber, and kalk. I’ve checked all the boxes and now dialing it in.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvest some of that chaeto. I get more photosynthetic pH bump from growing chaeto over just living. I take out half of mine and then separate the rest into a more loose ball.

Do you know what your indoor co2 level is?

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvest some of that chaeto. I get more photosynthetic pH bump from growing chaeto over just living. I take out half of mine and then separate the rest into a more loose ball.

Do you know what your indoor co2 level is?
I do dose full Triton Core 7 method, so the fuge is important to the overall picture. I need to dose NO3 to get a reading on my Hanna, 2-8ml’s daily of NeoNitro depending on what it’s registering as. I don’t know what my CO2 levels are but am pretty close to buying a meter to find out.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously how could you think it was just sodium hydroxide is sole chemical used in a scrubber bead? it would go into solution with water . You shoululd not be giving advice on this topic.

to the op if you remove the scrubber your ph will go down not up, Recommend running your skimmer air line to outside
You definitely can use sodium hydroxide, you can prepare a dkh contribution as sodium carbonate and dose accordingly and it gives you much more power to raise ph. If the reason you run a CO2 scrubber is to raise your ph, you might as well know what extreme methods of correction are available instead of just crossing your arms and saying never. Just know and respect that you're playing a dangerous game. I've dosed it in my tank for a good year maintaining 8.1-8.4 before switching to a calcium reactor, now I live and accept that my pH will be low forever LOL.

As far as my impressions of co2 scrubbers, they're a waste of time and money compared to the cheaper and more effective methods of raising ph, like what you mentioned. But know that you introduce a new problem of ensuring your external skimmer air intake is secured and will never be contaminated with bugs, lawn chemicals, or external air quality.

1697208439910.png

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely can use sodium hydroxide, you can prepare a dkh contribution as sodium carbonate and dose accordingly and it gives you much more power to raise ph. If the reason you run a CO2 scrubber is to raise your ph, you might as well know what extreme methods of correction are available instead of just crossing your arms and saying never. Just know and respect that you're playing a dangerous game. I've dosed it in my tank for a good year maintaining 8.1-8.4 before switching to a calcium reactor, now I live and accept that my pH will be low forever LOL.

As far as my impressions of co2 scrubbers, they're a waste of time and money compared to the cheaper and more effective methods of raising ph, like what you mentioned. But know that you introduce a new problem of ensuring your external skimmer air intake is secured and will never be contaminated with bugs, lawn chemicals, or external air quality.

1697208439910.png
Scrubber works well for me with kalk. I replaced my exhausted media yesterday and PH held at 8.31 low overnight with kalk dosing. I do extend life out of it because I hooked up a solenoid that opens to let fresh air in when PH hits 8.32 and closes again when PH dips to 8.31.

Attachments

• IMG_3952.jpeg
    IMG_3952.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 17

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the NaOH guy. Nobody said you can’t use NaOH But How would you have solid pellets of sodium hydroxide in a reactor? That doesn’t even make any sense at all. Come on now. Really? those pellets will pull moisture from the air and it will be soup in no time. Then that soup goes straight to your skimmer. Talk about a ph spike. The skimmer line nukes the tank . Your advice if someone ready this thread were to follow and fill their co2 scrubber with solid NaOH pellets is beyond dangerous.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the NaOH guy. Nobody said you can’t use NaOH But How would you have solid pellets of sodium hydroxide in a reactor? That doesn’t even make any sense at all. Come on now. Really? those pellets will pull moisture from the air and it will be soup in no time. Then that soup goes straight to your skimmer. Talk about a ph spike. The skimmer line nukes the tank . Your advice if someone ready this thread were to follow and fill their co2 scrubber with solid NaOH pellets is beyond dangerous.
I thought that Randy and I addressed that but okay.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubber works well for me with kalk. I replaced my exhausted media yesterday and PH held at 8.31 low overnight with kalk dosing. I do extend life out of it because I hooked up a solenoid that opens to let fresh air in when PH hits 8.32 and closes again when PH dips to 8.31.
I think on JDAs point, the next best thing do is to put in is a good sized ATS or refugium and have it on an alternate schedule to your display. That should boost your ph on the lows by a little bit. I didn't see as much gains as having just direct sunlight on my tanks in terms of ph boosting though.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think on JDAs point, the next best thing do is to put in is a good sized ATS or refugium and have it on an alternate schedule to your display. That should boost your ph on the lows by a little bit. I didn't see as much gains as having just direct sunlight on my tanks in terms of ph boosting though.
I have no way to get outside air other than opening windows. Living in New Hampshire I get to do that in Spring and Fall. Currently have 2 PH probes in my system and a Hanna PH pen to spot check my tank and kalk vessel. Have a large fuge packed wall to wall with chaeto and other miscellaneous nuisance algaes, and stuff growing, on a reverse light cycle. Historically my tanks have really not done well, and I started to pay attention to PH and now have much better growth and PE, as opposed to scratching my head wondering why euphyllia were withering away and SPS dying. So, paying attention to PH has been working out for my systems as it runs very low without a fuge, scrubber, and kalk. I’ve checked all the boxes and now dialing it in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back