Co2 scrubber.

Robbbadd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is perpetually under 8, I was thinking about adding a co2 scrubber to help raise it... does anyone know what brand/model is most user friendly/comparable with the eshopps s200 skimmer? Thanks

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running a remote line outside first. CO2 scrubbers can burn through media petty quickly if they're setup without one. You can try recirculating the air through the skimmer but that all depends on the CO2 concentration in your house. I bought two of the $35 BRS CO2 scrubbers. I change one canister a week. I get the jovert soda lime from medvet. Low pH is 8, high is 8.1. You might be able to do better but I'm happy with that swing :)

IMG_20200711_124726.jpg

Last edited:

sting5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same concern. Ran the skimmer intake through a window only to see moderate Improvements. I installed the icecap CO2 scrubber on July 9 and saw immediate results. Apex pH graph for that week is attached. only A few days in so I can’t comment on how fast it goes through media, but so far it is looking great.
59EA090C-4F7D-418F-A6B7-5675B3F8E544.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
BRS worked well for me

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the BRS In a recirculating pattern on a reef octopus skimmer. Works great. I peak 8.4 and at night I’m at 8.2. Without the scrubber I was at 7.9 high and 7.6 low at night.
I did same thing but with the Red Sea rsk300 and my PH. Went from a 7.8 to 8.4 during day and 8.2 at night

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not convinced recirculating the air from a skimmer is a good option. Although the pH is increased, I wonder what it is doing to the oxygen levels? Taking air from outside reassure me that there is a good flow of Oxygen into the media. I know people burn through a lot of media this way but if you source your media from the right place, cost is not really a concern on small to medium size aquariums. I purchase my media in bulk from a dive shop and it is really cheap.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had a BRS unit also connected to skimmer with good results

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not convinced recirculating the air from a skimmer is a good option. Although the pH is increased, I wonder what it is doing to the oxygen levels? Taking air from outside reassure me that there is a good flow of Oxygen into the media. I know people burn through a lot of media this way but if you source your media from the right place, cost is not really a concern on small to medium size aquariums. I purchase my media in bulk from a dive shop and it is really cheap.
My O2 is fine in my tank and I recirculate.
First of all, your only recirculating a small portion of the air. Your skimmer cap has vent holes. So worse case is you pull air into the vent holes rather than vent it.
Second, there are multiple other places O2 gets into the system, anyplace the water breaks O2 gets added. Filter socks, surface agitation, sump over flows.

JrlGravity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my skimmer (nyos 120) intake tube doesnt fit on the icecap co2 scrubber. How did you fit yours?

sting5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my skimmer (nyos 120) intake tube doesnt fit on the icecap co2 scrubber. How did you fit yours?
I have a redsea skimmer. i bought some 3/8 ID tubing and a 3/8 connector. I removed the silencer and connected the two pieces of tubing. The 3/8 tubing slides on the scrubber fittings.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on each of my tanks (not recirculating - YET) using BRS mini reactors. On one I'm using pure jovert soda lime, the other I added BRS' rox carbon & soda lime and both showing same results raising Ph but the one w/carbon is barely showing color change where the one with straight soda lime is almost expired after 3 weeks.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one on each of my tanks (not recirculating - YET) using BRS mini reactors. On one I'm using pure jovert soda lime, the other I added BRS' rox carbon & soda lime and both showing same results raising Ph but the one w/carbon is barely showing color change where the one with straight soda lime is almost expired after 3 weeks.
This is really intriguing. I’ve never heard of that (mixing the CO2 media with carbon). How’s it been working out for you?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really intriguing. I’ve never heard of that (mixing the CO2 media with carbon). How’s it been working out for you?

So far, it appears I'm getting an extra week or 2 out of the media.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, it appears I'm getting an extra week or 2 out of the media.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a scrubber and some bituminous carbon. Seems like it’s got a larger particle size than rox, and a small pore structure which should retain moisture well.

I’m surprised no one talks about this.

I’m also going to hook up the scrubber intake to my skimmer cup to really maximize the scrubber media’s life.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%

Back