Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heater

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why the Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm Heaters (above 50W) are out of stock everywhere? Is this product being discontinued?

I loved my Neo-Therm but it quit working after 4 years and so far I'm having troubles finding a heater for a 20G & 29G aquarium that is as accurate. I have my current heater set at the lowest temp (71 F) and my tank is always around 80-82F.

OP
OP
Scubafrog

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a 300w today.. also noticed they're out of stock everywhere. Got one of the last ones on Amazon. We've had a freakish cold snap up here in the NE U.S. My heater gave up the ghost and the neo-therm is the one I wanted to begin with.... but it was out of stock back then too ;Vomit

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is many times US distribution with overseas manufacturing requires delivery of large lots only a few times a year. If the shipment gets caught up in customs or there was a tooling change this can cause a multi month shortage of the product. This happens all of the time.

OP
OP
Scubafrog

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official reply from Cobalt Aquatics is that the Neos sold way better than expected and are simply sold out but they have a bunch more coming in soon. Good to hear!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this next batch doesn’t explode on people. I just got my new heater today to replace my neotherm lol.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn't heard about that? Exploding?

There are various reports of Neo-Therms leaking black, viscous goo. I don't know the absolute risk, but I've seen too many threads mentioning this to feel comfortable with one in my tank.

In fairness, no heater is really safe (use controllers), but I go with Eheim Jager. They do run on the long/large size, which is inconvenient.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are various reports of Neo-Therms leaking black, viscous goo. I don't know the absolute risk, but I've seen too many threads mentioning this to feel comfortable with one in my tank.

In fairness, no heater is really safe (use controllers), but I go with Eheim Jager. They do run on the long/large size, which is inconvenient.

dang! It's already shipped. My own fault for not doing better research. I'm normally so stingy. I was all proud of myself for biting the bullet and paying the premium for the "best" this time... Doh!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Except no more Eheims are being imported into the US

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang! It's already shipped. My own fault for not doing better research. I'm normally so stingy. I was all proud of myself for biting the bullet and paying the premium for the "best" this time... Doh!
I thought I was doing the same when setting up my 90gal. It’s a true premium compared to other heaters, it’s a shame this issue is still happening. I went with a finnex titanium with no temp control, one less thing to go wrong. Connected to an industrial temp controller, a Ranco, super reliable, it’s what food/beverage production uses for temp control, as well as public aquariums. It’s like an ink bird on steroids that will never break.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was doing the same when setting up my 90gal. It’s a true premium compared to other heaters, it’s a shame this issue is still happening. I went with a finnex titanium with no temp control, one less thing to go wrong. Connected to an industrial temp controller, a Ranco, super reliable, it’s what food/beverage production uses for temp control, as well as public aquariums. It’s like an ink bird on steroids that will never break.
I just had a finnex die on me after 3 months, but it just faded away, never malfunctioned. Can't really complain. Fail "on" is all I really worry about.. well, that and now toxic black goo

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a finnex die on me after 3 months, but it just faded away, never malfunctioned. Can't really complain. Fail "on" is all I really worry about.. well, that and now toxic black goo
Which one? Did it have its own temp control? I’ve heard a few stories of those going bad.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except no more Eheims are being imported into the US

Wait, when did this happen?! I know that they used to be Ebo Jager, and then Eheim Jager, but I still show them for sale at BulkReefSupply. Do you have a link?

OP
OP
Scubafrog

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this next batch doesn’t explode on people. I just got my new heater today to replace my neotherm lol.

Was the exploding issues only on the higher wattage models? I was thinking it was a 300W issue but I may be wrong.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back