Cobalt C-Ray LED 200W

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see more online retailers are selling this light. Looks nice, a lot like the AP700 ( same price) except that the C-Ray not only has similar led "pucks" but a "fill" light in between the 2 pucks to help "reduce shadowing" - something the AP700 doesn't have. Looked at the android app on google store, no reviews yet because it's so new but not really thrilled with the layout. Anyone have this light or knows of a friend or LFS that uses it over their reef tanks?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see more online retailers are selling this light. Looks nice, a lot like the AP700 ( same price) except that the C-Ray not only has similar led "pucks" but a "fill" light in between the 2 pucks to help "reduce shadowing" - something the AP700 doesn't have. Looked at the android app on google store, no reviews yet because it's so new but not really thrilled with the layout. Anyone have this light or knows of a friend or LFS that uses it over their reef tanks?
Looks interesting. Agreed like an AP700 except with the strip down the center. Following along for anyone who may have used this light. Interested in how it performs.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it is the most advanced aquarium LED on the market. What more do you want? :)

Tagging along...

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen one at our local fs, guy grows a lot of coral and usually doesn't like running kessil for his SPS. But needless to say he liked the light he mentioned Kessil is suing them for copy right etc..

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen one at our local fs, guy grows a lot of coral and usually doesn't like running kessil for his SPS. But needless to say he liked the light he mentioned Kessil is suing them for copy right etc..
Makes sense. It looks very similar and I'm sure there are patents involved.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. It looks very similar and I'm sure there are patents involved.
I was thinking same thing about copyright infringement too , however to get around that they added the middle led strip between the 2 pucks and I don't think the C-Ray light pucks has the same "dense matrix" packed led's. I'm not a lawyer so just guessing. Cobalt is a pretty big company & have been around for a number of years ( until the c-ray came out I only thought they made powerheads & fish food), I don't think they'd risk a major lawsuit by an equally big company like Kessil.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to my own reply just saw this video on YT from Live Aquaria about the C-Ray and this quote was listed in the reviews below. Interesting. video was added in Jan 2018.
This is just another re-brand unit ( another one is Aqua Medic AE200) of the Chinese brand Keloray Ange Eye that is a complete knockoff of Kessil AP700. The authentic Kessil AP700 is a way better dense Matrix LED tech stands out in the market.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking same thing about copyright infringement too , however to get around that they added the middle led strip between the 2 pucks and I don't think the C-Ray light pucks has the same "dense matrix" packed led's. I'm not a lawyer so just guessing. Cobalt is a pretty big company & have been around for a number of years ( until the c-ray came out I only thought they made powerheads & fish food), I don't think they'd risk a major lawsuit by an equally big company like Kessil.

In response to my own reply just saw this video on YT from Live Aquaria about the C-Ray and this quote was listed in the reviews below. Interesting. video was added in Jan 2018.
This is just another re-brand unit ( another one is Aqua Medic AE200) of the Chinese brand Keloray Ange Eye that is a complete knockoff of Kessil AP700. The authentic Kessil AP700 is a way better dense Matrix LED tech stands out in the market.
I may be wrong but I do believe packing all the LEDs under a single lens creating the "led puck" is what kessil has patented. If the cobalt works, great, but it'll never beat a proper kessil ;) :)

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but I do believe packing all the LEDs under a single lens creating the "led puck" is what kessil has patented. If the cobalt works, great, but it'll never beat a proper kessil ;) :)
I totally agree. For me it's kessil all the way. C-ray is relatively new, dosen't have a proven track record.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. For me it's kessil all the way. C-ray is relatively new, dosen't have a proven track record.
I'm the kessil koolaid guy not the cobalt koolaid guy! Lol agreed I absolutely love kessils and nothing can replace them :)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patents do not mean anything anymore. Chinese companies will steal and copy them (not all, but most) with no recourse. This has taken away innovation from the pump and other equipment market and I expect it to with lights as well. If you really love Kessil, you need to hope that people do not buy the alternative for less money even though it is inferior and just keep a backup on the shelf for a rainy day (ala Jeabo vs Tunze).

If this disgusts you that Kessil could lose market share and not be around to make the next generation of good lights, then it should... but then also apply this same logic and reasoning to other equipment.

The people who do not care (mostly just like that it is cheap) will point out the slightest difference and say that there is not copyright issue - everybody is a copyright expert... only unless you have given testimony in Texas Court (where most IP Infringement cases go), then you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The ones who get that this is one of the real serious issues facing the US and EU will stay way completely.

It will not be long until Kessil, EcoTech, Pacific Sun, etc. are all overrun with 1/3 price blatant knockoffs. Ask EcoTech how much Chinese copyright/IP theft has hurt their pump business.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patents do not mean anything anymore. Chinese companies will steal and copy them (not all, but most) with no recourse. This has taken away innovation from the pump and other equipment market and I expect it to with lights as well. If you really love Kessil, you need to hope that people do not buy the alternative for less money even though it is inferior and just keep a backup on the shelf for a rainy day (ala Jeabo vs Tunze).

If this disgusts you that Kessil could lose market share and not be around to make the next generation of good lights, then it should... but then also apply this same logic and reasoning to other equipment.

The people who do not care (mostly just like that it is cheap) will point out the slightest difference and say that there is not copyright issue - everybody is a copyright expert... only unless you have given testimony in Texas Court (where most IP Infringement cases go), then you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The ones who get that this is one of the real serious issues facing the US and EU will stay way completely.

It will not be long until Kessil, EcoTech, Pacific Sun, etc. are all overrun with 1/3 price blatant knockoffs. Ask EcoTech how much Chinese copyright/IP theft has hurt their pump business.

I agree. What it comes down to is which company has the smarter lawyers ( if this lawsuit is real) that will prevail. I don't think Cobalt will do much damage - if any - to kessil with this light because they are both the same price and like I mentioned before kessil has a proven track record. Plus IMO the C-Ray phone app is far inferior than the kessil app.
I have been in the aquarium hobby for almost 40yrs. and I'm currently setting up my first reef tank. I have done months of research and read many books & online forums about SW/Reef tanks, and have already spent thousands of dollars. unfortunately this hobby is more expensive than FW/Planted tanks and many on these forums have agreed. The challenge in the near future for the legit companies - Kessil, Ecotech,Kent marine, etc.... is to provide superior products at a REASONABLE price. I really believe the more an aquarist is educated the less they will buy the 'foreign knockoffs' and stick to the proven quality products. To play the devils' advocate here isn't the Capitalist System - provide a better product than your competition at a lower price? Of course this has changed somewhat with the Asian copyright infringements . Things have changed in the last decade, it's no longer an American economy to be concerned with, but a global one. IMHO ;Shy

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems this fixture addressed some issues that afflicted the ap700 that made it a beta product to some extent and that always prevented me from getting one.

I am waiting to hear more from people who actually own one of these. It looks like a much more finished product than the ap700.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems this fixture addressed some issues that afflicted the ap700 that made it a beta product to some extent and that always prevented me from getting one.

I am waiting to hear more from people who actually own one of these. It looks like a much more finished product than the ap700.
I just purchased a kessil AP700, really no reviews on C-Ray. Plus with ap700 I also bought the 'slight diffussion' kit, helps do away with some of the shimmer which I'm not a big fan of. Also as mentioned before the kessil phone app is much better - more user friendly - plus what sold me was watching the BRS video about the AP700, they do a very good job on the positives and only a few negatives , plus they have a great reputation in selling quality products. here's video on AP700 : https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/vide...-led-light-a-great-option-for-sps-reef-tanks/

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at this light again lol there isn't many youtube videos from reefers using them yet. Assuming the cost it to high for beta testers lol. Wondering if they will lower the price if they don't move?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is probably that there is not enough of a cost break between it and the AP700. When people are OK with Chinese knockoffs, they get a substantial price break... if a Jeablow flow pump was as much as a Tunze, then they would not sell either.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is probably that there is not enough of a cost break between it and the AP700. When people are OK with Chinese knockoffs, they get a substantial price break... if a Jeablow flow pump was as much as a Tunze, then they would not sell either.
Was thinking this to. Depending how many they made or have and if they don't move they may drop the price just to brake even or even loss. Will be watching for price brake since I want 2 units but sure as hell am not going to pay that cost I'd rather have multiple smaller Kessil units at that point.

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When kessil 1st came out with ap700 it listed for $895. A few months ago they lowered it to $799. Apparently their sales have increased since they lowered the price $95. I think maybe by fall and especially by 'Black Friday' Cobalt will knock the C-Ray down to $799. But that's if its any good. Like I said in my earlier posts the C-ray phone app sucks compared to the kessil app.

brad65ford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy to hear their app sucks compared to Kessils, I've heard everyone was upset with Kessils app at first

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back