OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy to hear their app sucks compared to Kessils, I've heard everyone was upset with Kessils app at first
Kessil has made improvements to their phone app since last upgrade several months ago. What's weird is there is a minor but noticeable difference between the iPhone and Android app. I first tried the android app on my Galaxy Note 4 - had no problem connecting to my ap700, but didn't like some of the screen menus setup. I bought a used Ipad mini 3 and had no problems connecting. Overall I prefer the iPad (ios) app over the android . Actually in a email to kessil I asked why there was a difference between ios & android - more recent updates on android ver. than ios. Rep said more ap700 users prefer the android version so they concentrate more on fixing bugs in that version .
I think the problems people encounter with the apps is if they go thru their home wireless router, unless the router is close by- direct line of sight is best - a lot complain about losing connectivity - signal dropping out. But you don't need to use router because ap700 has a wireless mode built into the light. You can connect directly to your light with ur phone or iPad app and is much more stable signal. Only problem is while connected to phone u can't receive or send calls and with ipad u can't receive or send emails. To do this u have to "disconnect" ur device from the light.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my old fixtures fell in the tank and I just ordered a couple of the european version (Aqua Medic Angel) and I am waiting because they were out of stock.

I think the main 2 differences are the lenses (90 degrees in the Aqua Medic vs 120 degrees in the Cobalt ) and the color of the fill light (blue in the Aqua Medic and warm white in the Cobalt). I am not sure if there's any difference on the main lights or on the moonlights.

It's very difficult to find reviews and for me it was impossible to see them in person, so it's a risk I am taking. I am going to light a 5'x3'x2' tank with them.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the led configuration of the aqua medic version

Screenshot_20180930-003910.jpg

And here's the Cobalt

Screenshot_20180930-004005.jpg

14 White
4 UV
4 Violet
6 Deep blue
2 Red
12 Royal blue
4 Cyan
2 Green

48 leds

14 White
4 UV
4 Violet
12 Deep Blue
6 Indigo
2 Red
4 Light Blue
2 Cyan

48 leds

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems each company went its own way and none of them has a big tradition in led lighting, so it would be very interesting to know the reasoning behind each of their led configuration.

Cobalt pros:

- less intense shimmering thanks to the 120 degrees lenses
- less spot light effect also thanks to the 120 degrees lenses
- Nice sunrise / sunset effect thanks to the warm white fill bar
- Suitable for shallower and larger tanks

Aqua medic pros

- Blue fill light replicates the ocean diffuse blue light, much like a T5, while the led clusters replicate the Sun light.

Aqua medic has a tradition in metal halides so I am guessing that may have influenced their configuration in trying to replicate their metal halides plus T5 fixtures.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting for mine to arrive. How much does the fill light reduce the strength of the shimmer?

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still waiting for mine to arrive. How much does the fill light reduce the strength of the shimmer?
Not much. It does seem to have a slightly less shimmer line compared to kessils. The point of light is bigger than a kessil but still a small point. This is not an ap700 clone. I just put it on my 25g lagoon to see what it looked like. On this shallow tank you will see the fill light straight down the middle. I am still setting up my 50 gallon which is twice the depth so the fill light should "fill" more but I dont think I will be able to maintain the blue intensity while maintaining par. A radion xr30 is still king. I just got this one from premium aquatics on special with free mounting arm.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a second note. I usually have a hydra 26hd on this 25g lagoon and the c-ray 200 definitely blows it out of the water as far as color pop goes.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to be able to compare the Cobalt and the Aquamedic side by side, but I guess it will never happen.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why I would pay the same price for this over the AP700... maybe if it was $300 cheaper.
You should see it in person first before making that decision. I will say the mounting arm is pure crap, it sags. Other than that just from sight (sorry no par meter) I would say the color pop spectrum this thing shoots out is above kessil and right below or at radion levels. My corals are still growing also. I don't regret it.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested the Aqua Medic version and I can only compare it with my current fixture, a Maxspect Razor 180 watt.

The shimmer is much stronger on the Aqua Medic, as expected. I will have to hang it higher.

Side by side, without any par meter and just looking at the tank, the Maxspect blows the Aqua Medic out of the water. I was very surprised by that, given the fact that the maxspect has 120 degrees lenses while the Aqua Medic has 90 degrees lenses.

The reason may be the spectrum. With both running at 100% on all channels, the Aqua Medic has a cooler tone. The Maxspect looks more natural. No disco effect from neither fixture.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Cobalt C-Ray extremely noisy? I have a hang on back skimmer that used to be the loudest sound I heard from the tank and I can't hear it now because the fan of the AquaMedic is so loud.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Cobalt C-Ray extremely noisy? I have a hang on back skimmer that used to be the loudest sound I heard from the tank and I can't hear it now because the fan of the AquaMedic is so loud.
I am starting to think these aquamedic and the kobalt are not as similar as everyone thinks. I have a aquamaxx hob 1.5 skimmer that is fairly quiet and I can not hear the c-ray light over it. IMO the kobalt c-ray is as quiet as it gets. I virtually can not hear it at all and my system is quiet enough to sleep next too.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the maximum power you are running them?

I few days ago I decided to run it between 60%-80% most of the time and it was enough to get my magnifica on the move. I had to dial it back up and now I run it between 90%-100% most of the time and this means the fans are always on.

No doubt they are based on the Kelo fixture and customised for Cobalt and Aqua Medic. I thought they only changed the led configuration and the lenses. I found someone on a German forum saying that he sent them back because of the noise. I just sent an email to Aqua Medic asking them if the noise level is really this high on all fixtures.

The Maxspect Razor really has very a clever design, because it only needs to turn the fans on during hot summer days.

I also found a couple of tiny problems in the app:

- You can't delete programs
- If you add moon cycle or clouds to a program you can't turn it off. You can, but after a while it's on again by itself.

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the blue channels maxxed out. I am not using the white channel but I am using the led strip in the middle which on my model is warm white at 50% and the magenta channel at about 30%. I am using it on a 25 gallon lagoon right now and am moving everything over to a 50 gallon tank this weekend. I am pretty sure I am going to have to up those white channels on the new tank.

Lance Thebodeau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running these lights for months, I have two. They're great! For those sceptical of their performance, I run a mixed reef with SPS and these are running at roughly 60% on my 80 and I'm likely turning them down a little bit more. I don't have a par meter but everything was growing for months in my 40 with one. Acros seem to have no issue under it in my experience. If you missed these for $400 on brs it was truly a loss

20190604_200942.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.0%
Back