Cobalt Heaters. How often they fail.

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear cobalt heaters have to be the top heater that fail. Stay away from them. Completely unreliable. I’ve literally have had 5 fail on me. But they have the best profile size for AIO tanks. Frustrating.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqualogic dual stage controller and Eheim Thermocontrol e heaters and I never looked back.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear cobalt heaters have to be the top heater that fail. Stay away from them. Completely unreliable. I’ve literally have had 5 fail on me. But they have the best profile size for AIO tanks. Frustrating.
Why can’t any other company make small powerful heaters. I’ve been looking for too long now

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agree that cobalt heaters are the worst. I've had four fail. One of them poured so much electricity into the tank that it killed several fish and zapped me badly. Two others disintegrated after less than 6 months and leached who knows what into the tank. Luckily, the fourth just simply stopped working. Thanks for making me remember so much unpleasantness!:mad:

OP
OP
Robertellis30

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suck a headache. I’ve reached out to them before. All they say is leave it unplugged for 30mins. Should reset and fix the issue. Nope. Does not work!

I use ink bird set up on my main display tank!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the company allowed to continue making and selling them? Those things sound deadly dangerous!!!! Shouldn't these incidents be reported to the consumer safety group?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky then. I bought 2 used ones. They were mainly used in my TTM Qurantine tanks. One was used in my mantis shrimp tank for nearly a year with no problem. So far so good.

ClearRain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to disagree, Aqueon heaters are the worst. Absolute trash. The number one item we get returned because they fail(by overheating or not heating at all). Got a cobalt Neotherm for my Evo in January, haven't had a problem yet.

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 watt cobalt on my waterbox cube 20 and never had an issue. But only had it for 8 months…now you got me worried lol

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the draw of the form factor.

I had a 1 year old 100w Neotherm crack open on the bottom corner somehow in my tank a few years ago. Heard a boiling sound while I was feeding in the morning and saw bubbles coming from behind my rock where the heater was. Reached in like an idiot without unplugging it first, picked it up and found it was bubbling out black stuff from the cracked spot. Luckily didn't get shocked, still freaked out and did a 50% water change then put in fresh carbon.

Nothing ever happened, and ended up replacing it with the 75w model which has been going strong for nearly 3 years now. That said, I have a 75w Eheim sitting next to the tank as a replacement for when I feel like I'm done tempting fate with this current Neotherm.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back