Cocos Island Maximas

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of buying one from Diver's Den. What's everyone experience with them? I don't know anything about Cocos Island and just want to make sure they're not as difficult to keep as the Tahitian maximas.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Divers Den sucks, IMO. Clams that I get from them die within a day or two of arrival... even a crappy clam can live for a few months before dying, so this has to be something that they do to them.

I got this Coco's from Animal Attraction in Greeley. It is alive after a few months. No growth yet, so no idea how it is going to turn out.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clams I purchased from them the past 2 plus years all died- LA or DD. I would put them into my tank with other clams that I had for months that were healthy and thriving. Next thing I know, the one from LA or DD is dead in a few days and then all the others die as well. None of the ones I currently have in my tank came from LA or DD. They have been in there about 6 - 7 months at the longest and they are healthy and thriving, showing great growth and mantle extension.

OP
OP
D

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. That's a unanimous vote against DD so I think I'll look elsewhere.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clams I purchased from them the past 2 plus years all died- LA or DD. I would put them into my tank with other clams that I had for months that were healthy and thriving. Next thing I know, the one from LA or DD is dead in a few days and then all the others die as well. None of the ones I currently have in my tank came from LA or DD. They have been in there about 6 - 7 months at the longest and they are healthy and thriving, showing great growth and mantle extension.
I had exact same thing happen. Killed all the others.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My exact same situation.

Ellery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup a dedicated clam tank early fall last year I wanted 2 of every type of clam. I ordered 9 clams from L.A. and only the 1 I got direct shipped from OR A is still alive. I HAVE ALSO TRIED 6 OF THE jumbo Maxima from US and no luck with those either. The only ones left are from my LFS from Bali I believe.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I setup a dedicated clam tank early fall last year I wanted 2 of every type of clam. I ordered 9 clams from L.A. and only the 1 I got direct shipped from OR A is still alive. I HAVE ALSO TRIED 6 OF THE jumbo Maxima from US and no luck with those either. The only ones left are from my LFS from Bali I believe.
Dude... Are you me? Lol sounds exactly like my build thread...

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you who had deaths from DD clams that also killed your other existing clams... How long did you wait before adding another clam to your tank? And was this fallow period long enough to eliminate whatever pathogen was present and allow the new clam to survive?

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! I thought clams were fairly easy once they got settled. This is gotten me skittish, though my clam (from @PacificEastAquaculture ) seems to be doing well

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those of you who had deaths from DD clams that also killed your other existing clams... How long did you wait before adding another clam to your tank? And was this fallow period long enough to eliminate whatever pathogen was present and allow the new clam to survive?

I waited around 6-8 months before adding a small squamosa. I now have 5 clams with the squamosa being over a year old now with no issues.

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do ya'll acclimate a clam that has been shipped overnight?

With fish I like to:
  1. Match my quarantine tank salinity and temp to the shipping water
  2. immediately take the fish out of the shipping water and toss it in the QT
I've heard that when fresh oxygen hits the dirty water that the fish has been peeing in for the last 24 hours there is an ammonia and PH spike.

Liveaquaria recommends drip acclimating, but I've seen clams go down hill while drip acclimating for 3 hours.

Thoughts?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to this when ordering from LA is easy: everybody follows the Live Aquaria instructions to the letter so that they will honor the warranty.

Back