Coffee filter over skimmer air intake?

c_johns89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone-
I recently (in August) purchased an Icecap K1-130 skimmer. Although the skimmer has been working fine, over the past month or so the it's developed a low hum. I found the source of the hum and it's coming from the air intake on the silencer. Does this mean that the air intake line is dirty and needs to be cleaned?

To silence the hum I've put a small piece of coffee filter over the intake, which has completely dampened the hum. Has anyone else done something like this in the past? I'm still generating plenty of bubbles.

I didn't think I would have to find a way to silence the silencer.

Cheers!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone-
I recently (in August) purchased an Icecap K1-130 skimmer. Although the skimmer has been working fine, over the past month or so the it's developed a low hum. I found the source of the hum and it's coming from the air intake on the silencer. Does this mean that the air intake line is dirty and needs to be cleaned?

To silence the hum I've put a small piece of coffee filter over the intake, which has completely dampened the hum. Has anyone else done something like this in the past? I'm still generating plenty of bubbles.

I didn't think I would have to find a way to silence the silencer.

Cheers!
Wow, yes, when I was running a skimmer I did same but with a bit of filter floss torn up. Tricks of the trade!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back