Cogboy - 135 Gallon New Build

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, time has come to update on new build. Will be bit of a long post.

One of the greatest joys I have had in reef keeping is how my girlfriend has really dived into it....at first it was a neat thing to have, but now she is all in calling them her babies...she does all the testing and is constantly staring into the tank.

A move in March into new home saw us bring along our Red Sea 250.....we new right away that although it was working we really wanted to celebrate our move with a new build that really fit with the flow and design of our new home.

IMG_3769.jpg

Red Sea 250....set up in our previous modern town house.

IMG_0565 copy.jpg

Red Sea moved into new house.

First step was to decide where we wanted the tank and roughly how big. We decided we really liked it in the same entry way as our Red Sea 250, but just wanted it to be bigger to fill the space and be designed to flow with the room better. After considering a larger Red Sea 525/650 Peninsulla we decided we wanted to go custom build instead. We had a structural Engineer come in and provide consultation and official sign-off that the size and weight would not structurally be an issue (as this is on second floor). All good from that front.

Next step was move the Red Sea to my Girlfriends office....thankfully not too far away....emptied tank almost empty, removed all rock, added furniture sliders and pushed old tank to new location (about 12 feet away).

62533814959__501BE757-E84D-43E7-AC25-FBC81D446938.JPG

Move day....

62534644674__9C4E7C2B-2B80-41D1-8AE3-7EC6976FD002.JPG

All settled in GF's Office....she loves it here and has already suggested we leave it even after we get new tank setup...lol, we will see.

Next Postings will be on getting new area ready and tank/stand planning.

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after seeing a few tanks built for local reefers decided on our tank builder and put build in motion. Decided on Penisualla style but pushed up against wall. Wanted the tank to be flush with wall. Tank will be 60inches wide, 26 inches deep and a bit more shallow at 20 inches height. Starfire on both viewing sides, eurobraced, drilled for 1" bean animal plus 3/4" return. Corners on viewing side will be mitred on 45 degree.

62534643023__15CB0A2D-68B3-4879-9715-27F1DA4D2D33.JPG

entry way where new tank will be

IMG_1211.jpeg

view from living room

After design confirmation and review by engineer put stand in production....built with marine grade plywood, inside cabinet has dragon wood finish....gables and top are 2.25 inches thick. Top has waterfall finish so that it flows over long end directly into far gable.

IMG_1674 copy.jpg

IMG_1788 copy.jpg

Had Electrician run dedicated power....one plug in the cabinet to the right, and one on the other side of the wall (in garage, next to new salt water mixing station).

Decided to do something a little different with the lights....decided to build shallow box with open channel in back to run light power cords....then built french cleat to hang box on wall. Light mounts are 1" plumbers pipe (which ties in nicely with some of the other design pieces in the house). Will fabricate light mounts and run power through the pipe and then through the wall to the garage side....then dedicated plugs on that side.

IMG_1771 copy.jpg
IMG_1783 copy.jpg
IMG_1789 copy.jpg

I will be able to change height of lights by just changing out pipe bib on end of light mount as I need to.

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got great deal from local reefer on ESHOPPS sump that has been modified for Clarisea Filter Roller. Cleaned it up and did High Gloss White Vinyl Wrap to decrease light pollution in the sump area and to sex it up a bit.
IMG_1736.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg
IMG_1741.jpeg

Wired the cabinet with LED lights and connected them to magnetic Reed switch so that light come on when doors are opened.

LBReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand is amazing. Who built it? I've never seen quality like that.

I really like your lighting mount as well. I could almost convince my wife to allow a tank in the house if it looked like this. Unfortunately she can still point out the number of unanticipated spills/leaks/oops moments.

Following along.

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stand is amazing. Who built it? I've never seen quality like that.

I really like your lighting mount as well. I could almost convince my wife to allow a tank in the house if it looked like this. Unfortunately she can still point out the number of unanticipated spills/leaks/oops moments.

Following along.
Thanks! My old man actually built it for me....he has been building custom cabinets for 40 years....has some mad skills he does!

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are always battling to find space in our reef cabinets, so to that end decided to complete a pull out shelf/mount for dosing equipment. Plan is to have Neptune DOS mounted on top and the Neptune Dos container on lower shelf. Pulling it out will allow for easier access when filling, or needing to get into rear of cabinet. Need to sand it down, drill some access holes then paint with white gloss enamel.

tempImageR0FAjP.jpg

tempImagenM3KqS.jpg

tempImagePszxKf.jpg

tempImagexQIFtQ.jpg

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started working on aquascape options.....really want a raised scape with lots more swim space and sand than my current tank. Mostly used acrylic rods and glue for initial planning, Once happy will Marco cement it all.
7842C307-4C47-411C-8EEC-382F34E82B75_1_201_a.jpeg

84B3D81D-07EF-41F4-B182-B41A20A8C900_1_201_a.jpeg

tempImagejfyKNp.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are always battling to find space in our reef cabinets, so to that end decided to complete a pull out shelf/mount for dosing equipment. Plan is to have Neptune DOS mounted on top and the Neptune Dos container on lower shelf. Pulling it out will allow for easier access when filling, or needing to get into rear of cabinet. Need to sand it down, drill some access holes then paint with white gloss enamel.

tempImagexQIFtQ.jpg

Awesome project so far. Who's the tank builder?
I see the cabinet door is removed for the slide out. How easy is to to pop the hinge off? I'm curious if there is a special 'quick release' hinge type for this purpose.

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome project so far. Who's the tank builder?
I see the cabinet door is removed for the slide out. How easy is to to pop the hinge off? I'm curious if there is a special 'quick release' hinge type for this purpose.
Thanks Don!
Tank Built by Dave at Concept Aquariums in Calgary Alberta Canada. Yup the hinges have a quick release tab that allows for total removal which makes life a whole lot easier

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allright....time for a bot of a longer update....
Tank arrived just before xmas.....so awesome to have it here safe and sound.....really well packaged, blown away by the quality of craftsmanship.....seams are perfect, really exceeded my expectations
tempImagemfBMKh.jpg

Before moving I did a bit more work on the cabinet.....
tempImageVp3vSk.jpg

Decided due to how close the back of tank is to wall to not leave it clear as it would be murder to try and keep it clean.....went with black vinyl wrap....used wet application method, razored the edges then heat gun lightly on all sides

tempImageajh6J7.jpg

Did some caulking on all the seams at back of cabinet and inside....added orange base to cabinet for a bit of color and with some help from the girlfriend and a few buddies got the tank on the stand....

tempImageIqQ5xP.jpg

tempImagefUBk1Q.jpg

tempImageWshqze.jpg

tempImagerf1g2l.jpg

Next steps will be to clean up plywood edge under tank with small molding, and start planning plumbing!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous stand and build this far... I especially love the pipe light mounts. Nice job on the scape too, looking forward to updates!

OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of cosmetic work this week.....built a slide in cap to place between the end of tank and wall.....skinned it with black laminate, added some notches so I can pass wave maker wires through in the future. Also added black trim to bottom piece of tank support plywood.....decided to change up inside of cabinet.....high gloss white laminate placed on the bottom of cabinet, should help brighten it up and not show salt creap as much...
tempImagehuj4I9.jpg

tempImagefUpShj.jpg

tempImagerLL3Ye.jpg

tempImagebIPzBr.jpg

Attachments

• tempImage6Cd9lj.jpg
    tempImage6Cd9lj.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
Cogboy

Cogboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
next up.....started to organize equipment cabinet.....originally my plan was to make really custom organizer and hide all cables.....after fighting with my previous tank to easily gain access to wires I changed my mind.....everthing will be mounted around the perimeter of cabinet....I will have lots of cable holders and removable ties, but everything will be out in the open to make future maintenance easier....
tempImageYKZNxD.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back