Collecting your own frags from ocean for transplant to your tank?

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever collected a coral frag from the ocean and then installed the frag in your own tank? If so, where do you live and where did you collect the corals? If you live in the US and collected the frags outside of the US, did you have a problem with Homeland Security when you brought the frags back into the US?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever collected a coral frag from the ocean and then installed the frag in your own tank? If so, where do you live and where did you collect the corals? If you live in the US and collected the frags outside of the US, did you have a problem with Homeland Security when you brought the frags back into the US?
Collecting anything, whether it be corals, fish, live rock, even sand from the wild is illegal. Only certain people are allowed to but they have permits and it is highly regulated. Trying to collect your own is just a bad idea.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chill out, guys. I should have clarified that I understand a permit (or several permits) may be required. But @crabs_mcjones, your assertion that all such activity is illegal is simply wrong. With a permit, people are allowed to, e.g., go fishing, catch fish, take fish from the ocean, and eat the fish at their house. In addition, coral dealers, such as Jason Fox, go on coral collecting expeditions regularly. I'm interested in doing the same on a much smaller scale and on a much less frequent basis for my own collection. It's not illegal provided that you've gone through the correct steps with US regulatory authorities and any corresponding foreign regulatory authorities.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chill out, guys. I should have clarified that I understand a permit (or several permits) may be required. But @crabs_mcjones, your assertion that all such activity is illegal is simply wrong. With a permit, people are allowed to, e.g., go fishing, catch fish, take fish from the ocean, and eat the fish at their house. In addition, coral dealers, such as Jason Fox, go on coral collecting expeditions regularly. I'm interested in doing the same on a much smaller scale and on a much less frequent basis for my own collection. It's not illegal provided that you've gone through the correct steps with US regulatory authorities and any corresponding foreign regulatory authorities.
No one is coming down on you. You can't compare fish to coral and yes it's illegal without the permits. You answered your own question, coral collectors have permission and do it legally. If you want to collect coral then do it right and legal is all others are saying.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition, coral dealers, such as Jason Fox, go on coral collecting expeditions regularly. It's not illegal provided that you've gone through the correct steps with US regulatory authorities and any corresponding foreign regulatory authorities.
Which would be getting a permit as stated in my original post. Not coming down hard on you and I apologize if that is how it seemed.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to ask you about going fishing a stream, would you have said "you can't do that because it's illegal"? Yes, fishing in a stream is illegal unless you first secure a license from the Fish and Game Department of the state in which you want to go fishing. Let's assume I've done this before I want to go fishing in the stream. For the purpose of this thread, let's also assume that I've secured the proper permits to bring back a coral from a foreign location for my own collection. If you don't know, just skip to the next thread.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never asked if collecting corals is illegal. Read my original post.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, Jason Fox goes over seas to collect corals, BUT he's friends with an exporter/importer who runs the business that actually legally sends those corals back to the US. So, he basically just goes diving with the guys who are already in the business of collecting and importing corals. He does not actually do it himself. He just helps them pick them out. In order for you to do that yourself you'd have to get your own permits and importing license (CITES) because corals are considered internationally protected animals and can not be brought into the US without special inspections/quotas, etc. All of that would be way too expensive and time consuming to do on a small scale just for yourself, and I don't even know if they issue such permits to individuals or only to businesses or research organizations?
So, to answer your question, hobbyists generally do not collect "a frag" or even a few frags from the ocean themselves and bring them back to their tank legally. To do so legally would be cost prohibitive. I'm sure there are plenty who have done so illegally though. Every now and then there's a story about someone getting busted trying to bring stuff back to sell illegally. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...om-the-philippines-seized-in-singapor-8712044

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on many occasions found stuff to put in my tank, but I live near the water. But be careful what you wish for. My first saltwater tank was full of local stuff, fish, inverts, sponges. My kids put a rock from the beach in the tank without me knowing. Unfortunately, there was a mussel on the rock, and within weeks mussels grew and grew. Totally invasive! They took over the tank, and I opted for a Tautog to reduce. Then 2 Tautogs, and then 3. They couldn’t catch up. A total tank break-down was my only option. Better do a bunch of research, and don’t be a poacher, there’s plenty of stuff to collect that don’t need special permits, but that varies from state to state. Sorry, no sps, but don’t tell anyone, my local tank is the cheapest aquarium I have ever created. No heat, no skimmer, no powerheads, no sump, no salt purchases, or dosing. I replace 20 gals every 2-3 weeks with real sea water, 60 gal tank. It’s not a true cold water tank, temperature ranges from 55-80. Presently, everything has been living over 1 1/2 yrs.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI, Jason Fox goes over seas to collect corals, BUT he's friends with an exporter/importer who runs the business that actually legally sends those corals back to the US. So, he basically just goes diving with the guys who are already in the business of collecting and importing corals. He does not actually do it himself. He just helps them pick them out. In order for you to do that yourself you'd have to get your own permits and importing license (CITES) because corals are considered internationally protected animals and can not be brought into the US without special inspections/quotas, etc. All of that would be way too expensive and time consuming to do on a small scale just for yourself, and I don't even know if they issue such permits to individuals or only to businesses or research organizations?
So, to answer your question, hobbyists generally do not collect "a frag" or even a few frags from the ocean themselves and bring them back to their tank legally. To do so legally would be cost prohibitive. I'm sure there are plenty who have done so illegally though. Every now and then there's a story about someone getting busted trying to bring stuff back to sell illegally. https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...om-the-philippines-seized-in-singapor-8712044
Thanks for the info, @hatfielj. I've looked into CITES, but I was under the impression that a CITES permit for coral costs $100 and takes 8 weeks to process, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

OP
OP
JollyReefer

JollyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have on many occasions found stuff to put in my tank, but I live near the water. But be careful what you wish for. My first saltwater tank was full of local stuff, fish, inverts, sponges. My kids put a rock from the beach in the tank without me knowing. Unfortunately, there was a mussel on the rock, and within weeks mussels grew and grew. Totally invasive! They took over the tank, and I opted for a Tautog to reduce. Then 2 Tautogs, and then 3. They couldn’t catch up. A total tank break-down was my only option. Better do a bunch of research, and don’t be a poacher, there’s plenty of stuff to collect that don’t need special permits, but that varies from state to state. Sorry, no sps, but don’t tell anyone, my local tank is the cheapest aquarium I have ever created. No heat, no skimmer, no powerheads, no sump, no salt purchases, or dosing. I replace 20 gals every 2-3 weeks with real sea water, 60 gal tank. It’s not a true cold water tank, temperature ranges from 55-80. Presently, everything has been living over 1 1/2 yrs.
Haha, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s awesome, your right. It’s great to have a local tank wherever you live, especially when you know what your collecting. This summer I’m targeting the fish that arrive with warm Gulf Stream currents like angels, butterflies, gobies, and tangs......can’t wait, they come here every year, and for those worried about collecting, most of the fish I collect from southern waters would just die if it wasn’t for going into a aquarium. Sorry, but Gulf Stream only travels north along the U.S.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, @hatfielj. I've looked into CITES, but I was under the impression that a CITES permit for coral costs $100 and takes 8 weeks to process, which doesn't seem too bad to me.
I have no idea honestly. My assumption has always been that there's a reason why people aren't regularly doing this themselves and I would assume it had to do with costs. But, maybe there are other reasons?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jon are you in florida? All you need is a recreational license to collect certain macro algae, a good number of various fish & a "few" soft corals. Any thing else , the FWC officers frown upon this big time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back