Collecting rock from ocean

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with collecting their own rock from the ocean for their tank?
Setting up a new larger tank and cost of rock would be large. I live near the ocean so figured why not.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with collecting their own rock from the ocean for their tank?
Setting up a new larger tank and cost of rock would be large. I live near the ocean so figured why not.
What part of the country?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South Florida, Miami specifically.
I would check regulations. The rocks from Florida are collected 10 -20 miles off shore. How far away are you from Tampa bay salt water retail store are you?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mtv Handcuffs GIF
Looney Tunes Rabbit GIF
200.gif
... ;) :)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, it's illegal to collect rock from the ocean without a permit:
We have a great relationship with Florida Fish & Wildlife officers and the Sheriffs who patrol the water around the farm and local boat ramps. They know our boat and where we work. If you don't have the mounds of paperwork to harvest Live Rock, prepare for a criminal record and hefty fines.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard loud and clear! Thanks for the advice everyone and likely saving my butt! I'll probably just cheap out on dry rock and then put some that’s from one of my already established tanks in to speed it up.
Lol no problem! I started all my tanks with dry caribsea rock and it turned out just fine!

AP Fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard loud and clear! Thanks for the advice everyone and likely saving my butt! I'll probably just cheap out on dry rock and then put some that’s from one of my already established tanks in to speed it up.
There is at least one local fish shop in Miami that cultures rock in their systems. That may be a good option for filling a large tank.

OP
OP
H

hashbrown1408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is at least one local fish shop in Miami that cultures rock in their systems. That may be a good option for filling a large tank.
Yeah I know a couple of places just at ~14$/lb it’ll run my wallet dry. Will likely use mostly dry rock with a small amount of cultured.

AP Fishkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol it is a 3 page application and a $100 fee. You also need a submerged land lease. They say it is a mound of paperwork to scare people off.
Not nearly that simple. Have to apply for a lease of a site subject to very specific criteria, have copies of receipts for rock deposited, provide descriptions/samples of the deposited rock to the State, must demonstrate the rock deposited is distinguishable from any natural rock in the vicinity, provide the state with a bevy of other information including the percentage of lease area covered by the rock, and may even need to tag the rock. Then you have to pray a storm doesn't bury all or some of the rock in sand. Not the mention to the work, tools, and time involved in placing and harvesting the rock. There's no question it's hard work subject to complex regulation. There is absolutely a substantial amount of paperwork involved.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not nearly that simple. Have to apply for a lease of a site subject to very specific criteria, have copies of receipts for rock deposited, provide descriptions/samples of the deposited rock to the State, must demonstrate the rock deposited is distinguishable from any natural rock in the vicinity, provide the state with a bevy of other information including the percentage of lease area covered by the rock, and may even need to tag the rock. Then you have to pray a storm doesn't bury all or some of the rock in sand. Not the mention to the work, tools, and time involved in placing and harvesting the rock. There's no question it's hard work subject to complex regulation. There is absolutely a substantial amount of paperwork involved.

Fortunately I’ve looked into it pretty extensively. Why? I don’t know. But it isn’t that bad. Anyone can do it. And the paperwork is the easy part. It’s the actual placing of the rock and harvesting of the rock from dry land that is the hard part.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know a couple of places just at ~14$/lb it’ll run my wallet dry. Will likely use mostly dry rock with a small amount of cultured.
When I was in Florida I saw the public works excavating “dry rock “ fossil coral when they dug a hole in the street in Orlando. I think they would be ok with sharing a few 5gallon buckets of a street excavation if you asked nicely?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol it is a 3 page application and a $100 fee. You also need a submerged land lease. They say it is a mound of paperwork to scare people off.
Depends on which state you apply for the permit. In Louisiana, the Department of Wildlife & Fisherirs handles the permitting. In Florida, Texas and Hawaii the Agriculture Department handles permitting, which in my case was an inland mariculture facility,
AquacultureRanch.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with half and half! You can go even less if needed, but I put at least a couple pieces of purchased live rock in there. It is soooo worth it .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 129 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back