Collection trip!!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I said gulf I didn't mean gulf stream. The stream here is a good 40, 50 miles due east. Water is 150 ft plus. There are warm water fish passing by but they are hands off in this state. I have collected Sargasso there are all kinds of interesting critters. file fish, shrimp, Sea horse etc. it's only close when a good south east wind blows in the summer months. The coast here is is mostly sand beach. very little rock ,etc . What is the tide differences where You are? 3 ft plus is a big deal here . Winter water temps? Just curious.

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes it even better!! Look for a rock jetty...like on the side of a shipping channel. We are a barrier island, the whole island is sand. We have rock groins and jetties to keep the sand from washing away. That is where the nems are. I check oyster reefs, I have some seagrass beds that I have been working with, lots of places to go you just have to get out there.

I am telling you bud you have some great looking fish there and they are on the table as long as you have a fishing license. I have caught wrasse, squirrelfish, filefish, etc. I have watched videos from all over Florida as seen some amazing fish.

They even catch tropical strays in new york!! Butterflyfish, blue angels, Atlantic tangs, burrfish the list goes on.

A 2ft. tide is huge here!! Winter time the tide drops about a foot to 1.5 lower than summer tides. Winter temps. usually stay about mid sixty, but last year it dropped to low 50's if not more than that.

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am heading out. I will get with you guys later.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait what you bring in tonight.

Last edited:

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pickup on the tessellated blennies!

How were you getting the porcelain crabs? That’s my number one goal.

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait what you bring in tonight.
Nothing special tonight the water was high and rough just some peps and molly millers. I went through my net in about 30mins. I am going to stock up tomorrow and probably wrap them with an innertube.

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pickup on the tessellated blennies!

How were you getting the porcelain crabs? That’s my number one goal.
Not a tessallated I wish I flipped the first time I caught one!! It is a something springeri an orange spotted blenny.

Porcelain crabs are easy just flip big rocks in about knee deep to the shoreline they just hang on the bottom. They are pretty quick though. I just got an action cam. so I will have some footage soon.

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not actually supposed to be this far north!!

Hypleurochilus springeri Randall, 1966

Orangespotted blenny
Add your observation in Fish Watcher
Native range | All suitable habitat | Point map | Year 2100

This map was computer-generated and has not yet been reviewed.
Hypleurochilus springeri AquaMaps Data sources: GBIF OBIS
Upload your photos and videos
Pictures | Google image

Hypleurochilus springeri
Picture by Wirtz, P.

Classification / NamesCommon names | Synonyms | Catalog of Fishes (gen., sp.) | ITIS | CoL | WoRMS | Cloffa
Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes) > Perciformes (Perch-likes) > Blenniidae (Combtooth blennies) > Salariinae
Etymology: Hypleurochilus: Greek, hypo = under + Greek, pleura = in the side of + Greek, cheilos = lip. More on author: Randall.

Environment / Climate / RangeEcology
Marine; reef-associated, usually ? - 3 m. Tropical

DistributionCountries | FAO areas | Ecosystems | Occurrences | Point map | Introductions | Faunafri
Western Atlantic: southern Florida in USA and Bahamas to northern South America.

Size / Weight / Age
Maturity: Lm ? range ? - ? cm
Max length : 5.0 cm TL male/unsexed; (Ref. 7251)

Short descriptionMorphology | Morphometrics
Dorsal spines (total): 12; Dorsal soft rays (total): 12-13; Anal spines: 2; Anal soft rays: 14 - 15

Biology Glossary (e.g. epibenthic)
Adults occur in rocky areas along quiet shores, usually in less than 3 m depth. They feed on polychaete worms, crustaceans and filamentous algae (Ref. 5521). Oviparous. Eggs are demersal and adhesive (Ref. 205), and are attached to the substrate via a filamentous, adhesive pad or pedestal (Ref. 94114). Larvae are planktonic, often found in shallow, coastal waters (Ref. 94114).

Life cycle and mating behaviorMaturity | Reproduction | Spawning | Eggs | Fecundity | Larvae
Oviparous, distinct pairing (Ref. 205).

Main referenceUpload your references | References | Coordinator : Williams, Jeffrey T. | Collaborators
Robins, C.R. and G.C. Ray, 1986. A field guide to Atlantic coast fishes of North America. Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, U.S.A. 354 p. (Ref. 7251)

IUCN Re

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes it even better!! Look for a rock jetty...like on the side of a shipping channel. We are a barrier island, the whole island is sand. We have rock groins and jetties to keep the sand from washing away. That is where the nems are. I check oyster reefs, I have some seagrass beds that I have been working with, lots of places to go you just have to get out there.

I am telling you bud you have some great looking fish there and they are on the table as long as you have a fishing license. I have caught wrasse, squirrelfish, filefish, etc. I have watched videos from all over Florida as seen some amazing fish.

They even catch tropical strays in new york!! Butterflyfish, blue angels, Atlantic tangs, burrfish the list goes on.

A 2ft. tide is huge here!! Winter time the tide drops about a foot to 1.5 lower than summer tides. Winter temps. usually stay about mid sixty, but last year it dropped to low 50's if not more than that.

Where are you located if you don't mind me asking?

My apologies for not getting back . I live just south of Jacksonville . I have to head south to St Augustine The further south the better .Matanzas inlet is about 1 1/2 hour drive, that doesn't bother me. I haven't run across the critters You find. In winter the water temps can drop to the low 60's . Now if & when I make it south to say Sebastian inlet (3 hours plus ) the selection choice is much better . I don't make it down there too much these days , getting older ! Please give us an update on what Ya brought home .

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're all have the potential going to JAIL for collecting without a permit or permission

Given all the pics you have documented above...I'm thinking if you got caught by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission....they'd prob give you 30 days. Maybe more.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article215027715.html

images

Last edited:

Pat Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're all have the potential going to JAIL for collecting without a permit or permission

Given all the pics you have documented above...I'm thinking if you got caught by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission....they'd prob give you 30 days. Maybe more.

Dont drop the soap...

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article215027715.html

images

I live in fl and as long as you have a fishing license it’s legal to collect most stuff. Most Stoney corals are a no go and like the news post some others. It in the regulation book.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in fl and as long as you have a fishing license it’s legal to collect most stuff. Most Stoney corals are a no go and like the news post some others. It in the regulation book.

I’m coming to Florida and bring a trailer.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back