OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are crazy!!! All you have to do is read the wildlife and fisheries for your area. Have some respect for your resources and don't bring home enough stuff to fill a 1000gallon. Share the wealth and don't try and make a profit!!

I would claim that most of the critters we get are wild caught and I would even go as far to say a bunch of the supposed aquaculture critters are going to be wild caught too..

I will try and get some pics. of my catch when they settle in. My phone camera is broken and I went and bought an action cam. but walmart got me so I don't have any footage or pictures from my trips.

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies for not getting back . I live just south of Jacksonville . I have to head south to St Augustine The further south the better .Matanzas inlet is about 1 1/2 hour drive, that doesn't bother me. I haven't run across the critters You find. In winter the water temps can drop to the low 60's . Now if & when I make it south to say Sebastian inlet (3 hours plus ) the selection choice is much better . I don't make it down there too much these days , getting older ! Please give us an update on what Ya brought home .
I have to go get the family ready, but I will get back to you soon

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're all have the potential going to JAIL for collecting without a permit or permission

Given all the pics you have documented above...I'm thinking if you got caught by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission....they'd prob give you 30 days. Maybe more.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article215027715.html

images
Yes that's why you need a fishing license!!

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cracker

Ok I have a couple mins.

For about 6months all I caught was mullet, pinfish, and croakers!!! You just have to just try when and where you can. I have caught stuff under a single half-shell of an oyster just survey the area if it is all beach or sand-mud bottom anything that something can hide in will usually produce something. Even doing a beach clean up and checking bottles and trash before you throw it away. I caught a nice filefish off of a floating shoe once. I have even caught some critters with a fishing pole and tiny hooks you just have to get out there. Most small fish live in micro-ecosystems once you figure out where they are it is pretty easy to find another productive spot. I hope this helps for now.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH Ya I,ve used a tiny hooks in the past. That was the only way to collect smaller fish Back then ! Or a caste net. look downs , tiny flounder ,pompano etc. this was in the early 80's plenty of hermits & obsolata snails .

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They even catch tropical strays in new york!! Butterflyfish, blue angels, Atlantic tangs, burrfish the list goes on.

Yep, we find them in Rhode Island. In college we seined up a couple of small butterfly fish in September, may have been October, water was 55 degrees! One was successfully tempered to a 75 degree tank.

A local diving club does organized collection trips in September, I think they target grass flats/clam flat areas.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get lots of peppermint shrimp on the rocks at jetties at night during summer. Along with angler fish, pipe fish, camel type shrimp, crabs, and lots of others in the sargassum clumps. I know someone that found a baby mahi mahi in one!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Awesome stuff. End of the summer is near, perhaps I need to find time for some local snorkeling and "collecting"

OP
OP
chris85

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can ever get some good footage, I will put some videos up for you guys!! It is just hard to hold a net while holding a phone and balancing on algae covered rocks, ;Hurting whatever it is just excuses!! I will work on it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back