Colored up proof!

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a good bit of reefers say they like buying brown frags from LFS or elsewhere just to watch them color up, i have researched a good bit and the only thing I can find proof of brown frags “coloring up” is acro frags and they typically just appear to change color as colony grows which is typical of every acro? Anyways does anyone have proof they have successfully colored up a coral other then an acro frag? Thanks for reading

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define what colored up means to you, there is a simple way to color something up that is bleached or browned. Maintaining a stable system and watching it turn whatever color you end up with, that would be simple proof.

Surely you have had a coral go south and not look right only to turn around and look better and brighter or color up rather. You may get a gem, you may not, it's up to your system and the tissue gods to determine whatever that may be.

OP
OP
Supa

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Define what colored up means to you, there is a simple way to color something up that is bleached or browned. Maintaining a stable system and watching it turn whatever color you end up with, that would be simple proof.

Surely you have had a coral go south and not look right only to turn around and look better and brighter or color up rather. You may get a gem, you may not, it's up to your system and the tissue gods to determine whatever that may be.
I guess I’m just looking for a few examples when someone has bought a brown coral… took it home “nursed it” back to health and it ended up a color other then brown, I’ve seen a few bleached corals come back to life but never seen any examples of a brown coral turning a different color.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wendy darling blessings GIF

I've seen ppl dose Tropic Marins PixieDust and see corals color up in 72hrs

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go.hunting local fish stores for the all green or all brown zoa to see what I get.
1 stratocaster frag w 3 polyps for 10.bucks
20211116_170353.jpg

And this random one for 10 bucks
20211128_110036.jpg

OP
OP
Supa

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’ve had the opposite effect in the past buy an acan just for it to change from rainbow to red and blue lol very annoying but I’ve never intentionally bought a bleached or browned coral
Nice, I guess it going blue isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Gotta love the bright reds thought!

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this acro that was totally brown when I got it for $30. It was turning bright purple with green coralites but has since browned out a bit from water quality fluctuations. Too early to get a good pic of it. It's still better looking than when I bought it.

PXL_20211210_131714536~2.jpg

Aquanino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I import corals regularly and sometimes receive really browned out acro colonies. I personally find it really cool when you find out some time later that it’s an orange passion or home wrecker, most we still don’t have a clue what they turned out to be (we don’t really use acro names here in SA) Will post some picks later I should have some before and after.

OP
OP
Supa

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this acro that was totally brown when I got it for $30. It was turning bright purple with green coralites but has since browned out a bit from water quality fluctuations. Too early to get a good pic of it. It's still better looking than when I bought it.

PXL_20211210_131714536~2.jpg
Looking good!

OP
OP
Supa

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I import corals regularly and sometimes receive really browned out acro colonies. I personally find it really cool when you find out some time later that it’s an orange passion or home wrecker, most we still don’t have a clue what they turned out to be (we don’t really use acro names here in SA) Will post some picks later I should have some before and after.
Thanks definitely interested to see

dcal1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another. I added this birdsnest to my tank on 10.10 and here it is exactly two months later. Not as dramatic but the subtle green that it started with is not much more present.
birdsnest 10.10.jpg
birdsnest 12.10.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back