Colt Corals Died, Tank No Longer Support Soft Corals

paris617

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my reef tank for roughly 5 years now. My previous experience was with freshwater tanks only but my local aquarium helped me get my 55 gallon reef tank established rather quickly. I have good light fixture with both MH and blue actinic lights. I would do 1/3 water changes every 4 or 5 weeks and test for Nitrates myself with my local store doing more thorough water tests for me when I would purchase new fish. I also purchased my own 3 stage osmosis setup for filtering water myself.
When my tank was about 6 month old I purchased two small colt coral frags. They grew rapidly and multiplied relatively quickly. Within a year they had covered the entire tank. I have attached a photo here. You will notice some aiptasia pests in the photo. Those were later controlled by my aiptasia eating file fish since I did not have good success keeping copper banded butterflies alive.
About 6 months ago, after flourishing for 3+ years my colts started to turn white and droop. Within a month they were almost completely gone leaving nothing but bare rock. I have since taken water samples to two different stores and purchased test kits for ammonia, phosphates and PH. On March 15my ammonia was at 0.25 and phoshphates at 1.0 so the plan was to do 1/3 water changes and vacuuming every week. I also stopped using charcoal bags as I was told this is not necessary and adds phosphates. I also changed my light bulbs and my osmosis cartridges.
After 3 weeks of water changes and vacuuming my ammonia and phosphates numbers were cut in half so I introduced a soft mushroom coral. With a week it was gone. I kept making the water changes for two more weeks and added a kendra tree frag, it also died within a week. I supplemented the water changes with Phosguard bags and Seachem Purigen for removing ammonia.
After 2 more weeks of water changes my ammonia and phosphates are down to trace amounts so I introduced a zoanthid frag. It started to open up the second day but now after two weeks I am convinced it will never open and the stalks have shrunk.
I am at a point where I no longer believe the water is killing the soft corals. Could it be some type of bacteria that were introduced to the tank? If so I would think that they are embedded in the rock and that nothing else can be done.
I would truly appreciate any help on this problem as I will probably sell the tank if I can't get corals to live. I have not tried hard corals but my thinking is that they do not multiply like the soft corals, or do they?
Colt corals.jpg

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, most soft corals need phosphates and nitrates to thrive...they feed off of these...
If you are cleaning your water too much it can and does have a negative effect on soft corals and LPS...
Secondly, the filefish may have started to pick on them? But not to the point causing them all to die, but if causing a few of the aphasia, depending on your infestation, could have affected your water quality...
Something else that could have happened is copper or metal contamination? Have you used any new metal in or near the tank? Have you run a metal finding filter pad?
Also, what water source are utilizing to make your water?

OP
OP
P

paris617

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My confusion comes from the fact that I can't remember doing anything differently while the corals were thriving than when they were dying or now. I do agree that trying to get the phosphate and nitrate levels any lower is pointless and possibly counterproductive.
I use the same tap water I have always been using. I did test the tap water for phosphates both before and after filtering and it showed 0.25 from the tap and 0 after filtering.
I should add that when the colt corals started turning white I cranked up the iodine including this highly concentrated form but to no avail. I also changed my brand of sea salt back to the kind I used at first but no luck. When the corals were living I added strontium/molybdenum, calcium and iodide 1-2 times a week.
I have not introduced any metals to the tank as far as I know unless our tap water is adding copper or metal. I understand I can have the city come out and check my tap water at no charge, I should probably do that, but I will not have a "before" reading to compare it to. I also understand that there is a test to determine if the filters are working correctly, should I look further into that as well?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need for info from the water column.
Need
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
PH
SG
Temp
Calcium
Magnesium
Alk

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back