Combining 2 tanks with the same water, questions, help.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COVID is starting to lift in my area, and unfortunately, I didn't realize that maintenance on 2 tanks weekly with my schedule getting back to normal and full time is actually 100% not feasible for me time wise without just being stress.

I don't want to get rid of my 2nd tank but need to figure out how to slightly ease up maintenance otherwise I'm going to have to shut it down. I have species in my 2nd tank that wont mix with my main tank.

I figured if I could get them both on the same water either with a sump, or maybe just an overflow and return turning one tank into a "sump" like system just side by side.

I also however then would want to turn this 2nd tank as well into a frag tank to hold my future Frags.

However I'm not sure the best way to do this and wondering if anyone else on here has done a similar thing ever.

My JBJ 45 is an AIO, but I could make a DIY Overflow system and add a sump underneath the cabinet.

I was thinking either.

A. Get a sump, make 2 Overflow systems both leading to the sump, I could maybe join the piping to have a single outflow but then I have to have 2 return pumps in the sump.

B. Have the water from the main tank go into the sump, then from sump to frag tank, and then frag tank back to main tank or switched around from frag tank to sump to main tank.

C. Skip the sump, and just have an overflow to the frag tank and a return to the main tank.

I don't necessarily want a sump per se, obviously could help make things like WC's and dosing easier actually but possibly with an extra working part might complicate plumbing and potential hazards.

Anyone with any experience in something like this would be appreciated. all 3 of the above options could/would work, but not sure if for some reason I should avoid one of them from some oversight i'm not thinking about.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO The best way to do this is to have 2 tanks with 1 shared sump. This will look the cleanest and it was what a professional would do if they were starting from scratch. I have run systems this way many times and it works perfectly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back