Comeback Tour - Haggisman14's Eshopps Deskmate Build

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need that skimmer. Unless you just absolutely want it for aeration and to help raise your PH a little bit.

All you’re going to do is strip your water of the nutrients you need. Water changes should be all you need for nutrient export. Your problem isn’t going to be an abundance of nutrients. It’s going to be a lack of nutrients.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always liked skimmers for the fact that they added aeration to the tank, but I totally agree, I"ll be doing a 1 gallon water change weekly to help replenish the elements. Especially now that my evaporation is going to be limited.

Also probably going to ditch the full on filter sock, and get a basket (@Kraken Reef ) and fill it with filter floss that can be swapped out on a weekly basis (more often if necessary).

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So week 2 of the cycle starts today, and everything is going well with the tank. Best news was that over the weekend (2 days away from the tank), the water level dropped by about 1/4-1/2 of a cup....really not bad at all! Puts me at ease if for some reason I'll be out of the office for a 3 day weekend. Will have to figure out something for a more long haul solution for vacations, etc...but I won't have to worry about that for a while!

Have a great week everyone!

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is your solution. I’m having to pick one up for an upcoming vacation. I’m going with the reef breeder prism. All it would take is for the temp to change some or a little more air movement starting while you’re gone and that evaporation will ramp up quick. I can’t trust mine. It varies

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you’ll love that krakenreef cup. It’s awesome. Just got mine in today. Threw that filter sock that comes with that tank away with great prejudice lol. They’re so hard to get clean and they could include a second one I mean they’re like 6 bucks

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is your solution. I’m having to pick one up for an upcoming vacation. I’m going with the reef breeder prism. All it would take is for the temp to change some or a little more air movement starting while you’re gone and that evaporation will ramp up quick. I can’t trust mine. It varies
I would double check on the Reef Breeder Prism. In the past few days I"ve been watching a TON of videos, and some people are saying that they work amazingly well, but that the sensors are all spread out pretty far., especially for use on a nano tank. Just food for thought.

I saw a bunch of great things about the Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152. It is just about double the price, but looks like it's much more sensitive. That's probably the route I"ll end up taking in the future.

Got any pics of your tank?

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would double check on the Reef Breeder Prism. In the past few days I"ve been watching a TON of videos, and some people are saying that they work amazingly well, but that the sensors are all spread out pretty far., especially for use on a nano tank. Just food for thought.

I saw a bunch of great things about the Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152. It is just about double the price, but looks like it's much more sensitive. That's probably the route I"ll end up taking in the future.

Got any pics of your tank?
Im incredibly hopeless at taking pictures of my tank and I’m working out trying to find a decent light setting/schedule that I can flick on for photo mode. I already purchased the orange lense and it did help. But it’s not what I want in my pictures. Instead of me putting photos of my tank in your journal. I think the link to my journal is in my info if you click on my photo

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if the tunze would fit. Maybe I’ll be the test rabbit lol
You could probably call BRS, and ask them to take one out and measure it. I did a quick search and it doesn't look like anyone online has posted the dimensions, nor is it on the Tunze website.

I bet they would hook you up with the measurements, but if not I would bet that it fits in that final chamber!

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this little tank! I need to update my thread, but I'm not running a skimmer in mine and so far, so good. I do about a gallon/gallon and a half water change once a week to every two weeks as needed. I also use and recommend an ATO, but my deskmate is near my 29g, so they share an ATO reservoir which makes it super simple. (My office is also in my home so I only have to fret if we go on vacation)

I had a concern early on with the pump being LOUD, but that settled down after a couple of weeks and making sure it was perfectly centered.

Any plans for what softies/LPS you're going to have?

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this little tank! I need to update my thread, but I'm not running a skimmer in mine and so far, so good. I do about a gallon/gallon and a half water change once a week to every two weeks as needed. I also use and recommend an ATO, but my deskmate is near my 29g, so they share an ATO reservoir which makes it super simple. (My office is also in my home so I only have to fret if we go on vacation)

I had a concern early on with the pump being LOUD, but that settled down after a couple of weeks and making sure it was perfectly centered.

Any plans for what softies/LPS you're going to have?
Pump definitely does have a little hum too it, but nothing too bad (at least for now).

My main goal is zoa's and LPS like acans, favias. Might look into a small goni, or a small hammer coral, and chalices. Going to go without any SPS until/if I upgrade the light.

I could see in about a years time springing for an upgrade light of an AI Prime. Also probably going to try and snag some GSP for the rear wall. Can't wait to start filling it. Probably going with fish next weekend!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Friday update. Nothings been going on this week aside from dosing Microbacter7, and topping off the tank daily with about 1/4 cup of RO.

I just placed an order for the the @Kraken Reef filter cup (I don't like filter socks), as well as some filter floss, refractometer calibration fluid, TDO ChromasBoos food, and reef chili.

I"m going to give the tank one more week of lights out cycling next week, and then will pick up my snails and Clown Fish next weekend (first weekend in March).

Will probably roll with them for the next 2-3 weeks after that, and then look into corals.

Thanks for looking!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My game plan for the next 10 months...

-clownfish going in this weekend

-in April WWC will most likely have another one of their live sales. Possibly try for some of their frags, but regardless grab one of the 9 coral mystery boxes for $140.

-Try to snag some of their eBay offerings for that same live sale shipment

-Thanksgiving/Black Friday, pick up an AI prime and watch the corals take off!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot that there was a Marketplace on here where people unload their used equipment...especially lighting.

I think once I get a good amount of corals into the tank, I'm going to keep my eye on the market place and snag either an AI Prime, or try and see if I can get a Radion (been dreaming of one of those since I had my biocube!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the weekend is upon us, and it's fish weekend!

Not sure if i'm going tomorrow or Sunday, but I'll be going to pick up a pair of clownfish and my snails. Still not sure which "type" of clowns I"ll be getting, but I've got my eyes on a pair of snowflakes!

Have a great weekend everyone!

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I took a trip with two of my boys and picked up 2 "semi naked" clowns, 3 little blue leg hermits, 3 HUGE nassarius snails and 4 astrea snails. Put them in yesterday, and as of today all is looking good.

Clowns are eating well, snails are making their way around tank without issue, so all is good.

Also did a little 2 gallon water change (first one on the tank), and moving forward plan on switching out about 1 gallon weekly with fresh salt water. Other than that not much to report. Tank will probably stay just like this for about the next month, and then it's time for corals! It took a lot of self control yesterday not to pick up some corals...but I was good!

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

mbstallone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So this weekend I took a trip with two of my boys and picked up 2 "semi naked" clowns, 3 little blue leg hermits, 3 HUGE nassarius snails and 4 astrea snails. Put them in yesterday, and as of today all is looking good.

Clowns are eating well, snails are making their way around tank without issue, so all is good.

Also did a little 2 gallon water change (first one on the tank), and moving forward plan on switching out about 1 gallon weekly with fresh salt water. Other than that not much to report. Tank will probably stay just like this for about the next month, and then it's time for corals! It took a lot of self control yesterday not to pick up some corals...but I was good!

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 103

mbstallone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I too have a little eshopps up and running and love it. I use the protein skimmer and a little sponge filter in the overflow to keep the micro bubbles down. I got the light from frag box and it works great if you want in the blue spectrum with a built-in timer for a cheap price brand new. It has sunrise and sunset and is super quiet. I upgraded the return pump with a sicce nano for a little more flow and super silent.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 129 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 15 8.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back