Coming back after a very long time!

EastTNReefing

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2024
Messages
5
Reaction score
48
Location
Talbott
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone!

I am returning to the hobby after a several year hiatus.

I mostly keep LPS and Zoas, but this time around, I am going to venture into the world of SPS.

I have already ordered my new tank. It is a 150 gallon Starfire glass tank from SCA.

I’m looking forward to sharing with y’all.
 
Welcome! I am also coming back after many years out. Good luck with you 150 gallon build, would love to see pics when you get it going!
 
Welcome! I am also coming back after many years out. Good luck with you 150 gallon build, would love to see pics when you get it going!
I’m excited. What’s really overwhelming me right now is how much lighting has changed. I ran T5/MH for years, now LED seems to be the new thing.

While I’m waiting on my tank to deliver, I’m spending most of my time researching lights.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef
Whats Up Hello GIF by Disney Channel
 
I’m excited. What’s really overwhelming me right now is how much lighting has changed. I ran T5/MH for years, now LED seems to be the new thing.

While I’m waiting on my tank to deliver, I’m spending most of my time researching lights.
I'm far from an expert, but I had T5 and metal halide years ago, and they are absolutely still tried and true lighting solutions that just work, so don't be afraid to go with what you know, so to speak. The new LED's are very nice, they have a lot of controllability and cool features, but all those features sometimes lead to people constantly tweaking and adjusting the settings, which can lead to unhappy corals. Do your research and look into the newest lighting options, but I think many would advise you to choose your settings and keep them there. Change things only very slowly if you really think you need to. A PAR meter can help, which can be rented, purchased and retuned through BRS for a minor restocking fee, or borrowed from another local reefer. And too little light intensity is far less of a problem than too much light intensity, which can smoke your corals quickly.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!
 
Hello Everyone!

I am returning to the hobby after a several year hiatus.

I mostly keep LPS and Zoas, but this time around, I am going to venture into the world of SPS.

I have already ordered my new tank. It is a 150 gallon Starfire glass tank from SCA.

I’m looking forward to sharing with y’all.
Welcome!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new