Coming Back - Nuvo 20 Gallon

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love this build thread! Have you had any issues with the cabinets as the stand? Did you do anything to reinforce them? I was thinking about doing something similar for a new project but wasn’t sure if they would be able to hold the weight.

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love this build thread! Have you had any issues with the cabinets as the stand? Did you do anything to reinforce them? I was thinking about doing something similar for a new project but wasn’t sure if they would be able to hold the weight.
Hey thanks @EverAquarium, it's great to get some love for the build! The cabinet needs no reinforcement as it is technically a kitchen cabinet that is rated for more weight than the 20 gallon tank fully stocked (each leg supports up to 250 lbs, and I have 6 which translates to 1500 lbs and a fully stocked 20 gallon would be maximum 200-250 lbs ). Additionally, I choose to go with a split cabinet so there would be a middle divider to provide additional support from bowing for the top. The cabinet also cost about 1/2 the price of the innovative marine branded stand. The best part about this is that Ikea cabinets have many different configurations that could support a variety of tanks and desired layouts, however, my personal recommendation would to go with OEM cabinets for anything larger than a 40 gallon tank as they are built specifically for larger weight capacity tanks and engineered to those specific needs.

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks @EverAquarium, it's great to get some love for the build! The cabinet needs no reinforcement as it is technically a kitchen cabinet that is rated for more weight than the 20 gallon tank fully stocked (each leg supports up to 250 lbs, and I have 6 which translates to 1500 lbs and a fully stocked 20 gallon would be maximum 200-250 lbs ). Additionally, I choose to go with a split cabinet so there would be a middle divider to provide additional support from bowing for the top. The cabinet also cost about 1/2 the price of the innovative marine branded stand. The best part about this is that Ikea cabinets have many different configurations that could support a variety of tanks and desired layouts, however, my personal recommendation would to go with OEM cabinets for anything larger than a 40 gallon tank as they are built specifically for larger weight capacity tanks and engineered to those specific needs.

Thanks for the info! I was digging through some specs on those cabinets this morning and couldn't find anything that spoke to the weight they support, but I also havent had my coffee yet. Did you paint and seal your MDF top? Or how are you keeping it from warping? I am looking at the Innovative Marine Encore tank so in total it would be about 20 gallons.

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! I was digging through some specs on those cabinets this morning and couldn't find anything that spoke to the weight they support, but I also havent had my coffee yet. Did you paint and seal your MDF top? Or how are you keeping it from warping? I am looking at the Innovative Marine Encore tank so in total it would be about 20 gallons.

@EverAquarium Yeah I had to ask a representative at Ikea when I bought the cabinets for the weight rating (I also have the same cabinets in my kitchen too). The legs are called "capita" and the cabinets "sektion" if that helps your research. I panted the MDF top with a waterproof deck paint with multiple coats and haven't had any issues with it. MDF soaks up a lot of paint so don't skimp on it. The nice thing is if it ever gets warped or anything it's super easy to unscrew it and reinstall a new board, all I would have to do is set the tank on something and would wait to lighten the load during a water change or something. The MDF boards cost about 5-8 bucks at Home Depot.

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EverAquarium Yeah I had to ask a representative at Ikea when I bought the cabinets for the weight rating (I also have the same cabinets in my kitchen too). The legs are called "capita" and the cabinets "sektion" if that helps your research. I panted the MDF top with a waterproof deck paint with multiple coats and haven't had any issues with it. MDF soaks up a lot of paint so don't skimp on it. The nice thing is if it ever gets warped or anything it's super easy to unscrew it and reinstall a new board, all I would have to do is set the tank on something and would wait to lighten the load during a water change or something. The MDF boards cost about 5-8 bucks at Home Depot.

Yeah based on your information this is what I had in my cart
1605622767949.png

Definitely much more price effective than the APS stand

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah based on your information this is what I had in my cart
1605622767949.png

Definitely much more price effective than the APS stand
Also, you'll need about 6 short screws to attach the two Sektion cabinets together just FYI. I don't remember off the top of my head if they are included or not (I think they are) but if they aren't just pick some up from your local hardware store.

TacticalReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you'll need about 6 short screws to attach the two Sektion cabinets together just FYI. I don't remember off the top of my head if they are included or not (I think they are) but if they aren't just pick some up from your local hardware store.

So looking at buying everything from Ikea would run about $100.
1 gallon of primer, high performance protective paint, and a 3/4" x 16" x 4' piece of MDF will be about $55

So as long as I am not forgetting something the total of lets just say $160 is a good savings over the $270 APS stand, and that is its sale price.

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking at buying everything from Ikea would run about $100.
1 gallon of primer, high performance protective paint, and a 3/4" x 16" x 4' piece of MDF will be about $55

So as long as I am not forgetting something the total of lets just say $160 is a good savings over the $270 APS stand, and that is its sale price.
I would say that's all accurate! I was able to cut a 2' x 2' piece of MDF which they sell at Home Depot. Unless you want some scrap MDF for other reasons (might cut the cost down a bit).

OP
OP
Leiph86

Leiph86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a new journey will begin as I received my Red Sea Reefer XL 425 over the weekend. I will be setting this tank up and will be my primary work this year. However, this little guy will have a future in my office, with what and how I have yet to determine - not sure if I should transfer things over, keep this tank going, etc. New link to the build thread coming soon as I have the chance to take some photos and start putting together that thread!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back