Coming back to the hobby

beta2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided to come back to the hobby.
I have had tanks over the years. My last tank was about 15 years ago. It was a 70 gallon reef tank. I ran what they called the Berlin method. Live rock and sand, with a Venturi protein skimmer. I mainly had anemones and fish. I did have corals at one point but moved away from corals and enjoyed the fish and anemones. I decided to tear it down when my wife and I had children. Mainly due to time constraints with a new family.
Now that I am older and considering a new tank. I have some questions.
First question;
I am considering an acrylic tank. What are the pros and cons.
second;
I am thinking of putting the tank in the corner of my home entry. There is room for a 28” x 28” square tank. My concern is indirect sunlight. I have skylights on the side of my front door and although there isn’t direct sunlight to the tank position, there would be some indirect. Should I reconsider my placement?
Third;
I am planning on plumbing the tank to a sump in my basement. Setting up a sink and RO and Di unit and water prepping station. What are some of the things I should consider.
I am sure there will be more questions as I get closer to setting up the system, but any input the the above questions will be greatly appreciated.

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! In addition to indirect sunlight, depending on where you live, placement close to the door may give you slight temperature swings.

OP
OP
beta2000

beta2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I live in New England so that could be an issue.
do you think having a sump in an insulated basement would help keep swings minimal? I plan on having a good size sump to increase the size of the system (gallons).

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with that, but I assume it would depend on the size of the sump. Any other northerners out there with experience with a remote basement sump?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back