Comline DOC 9001 Protein Skimmer - Tunze vs. Red Sea Max Nano stock skimmer

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
San Francisco Bay Area, California, United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read several comments about this skimmer's performance as superior to the relatively good stock skimmer on the Red Sea Max Nano.

I am not a massive fan of the stock skimmer, so I have been looking for alternatives for a while, but not many others seem to fit into the tank and are more effective, except this one.

Any thoughts or reactions?

IMG_1029.jpeg

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, guaranteed to be superior over the Red Sea one. I can't say for certain if this will fit 100% (you'd need to double-check the dimensions and space requirements).
Thank you. I have seen pictures and heard this seems to fit perfectly, so my main concern was effectiveness.

SocaliReefDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks old but if still looking, I have the same tank and use the bubble magus miniQ skimmer which fits easily in the back and works great. I found the stock skimmer was loud and never really skimmed any thing. The bubble magus is silent, only thing I can hear occasionally is the bubbles fizzing if close to the tank. No micro bubbles (but I do have the bubble traps above the return pump).

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks old but if still looking, I have the same tank and use the bubble magus miniQ skimmer which fits easily in the back and works great. I found the stock skimmer was loud and never really skimmed any thing. The bubble magus is silent, only thing I can hear occasionally is the bubbles fizzing if close to the tank. No micro bubbles (but I do have the bubble traps above the return pump).

Thank you - I did not know that this skimmer would fit too. I have purchased the Tunze already and I am still in the process of evaluating it. Too early to tell but no negative reaction at this point, and also pretty quiet, but not silent.

StuartHB21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking of replacing my stock skimmer on RS Nano with bubble magus miniQ. Does the rear clamp on miniQ fit with the power pack in the back. I assume it’s in the same compartment as the stock skimmer

MyFirstCar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like my red sea Max Nano stock skimmer, but having the power switch right there for it is nice

Xefan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you - I did not know that this skimmer would fit too. I have purchased the Tunze already and I am still in the process of evaluating it. Too early to tell but no negative reaction at this point, and also pretty quiet, but not silent.
Is it the Tunze 9001 or 9004 you used? I think the pic at the start of this thread you posted is the 9004 but I heard the 9004 doesn't fit. Is that not true? Was looking to pick up the 9001 but would prefer the 9004 if it fits in the back of the Max Nano.

OP
OP
Alexander1312

Alexander1312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the Tunze 9001 or 9004 you used? I think the pic at the start of this thread you posted is the 9004 but I heard the 9004 doesn't fit. Is that not true? Was looking to pick up the 9001 but would prefer the 9004 if it fits in the back of the Max Nano.
It's the 9001. Unfortunately, the 9004 won't fit. The picture shows the 9001.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back