Commercial Boost Pump for RODI Application

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would something like this work for a place with low water pressure?

Shurflo 8000-912-288 Automatic Demand Industrial Diaphragm Pump For Spraying and Fluid Transfer, 1.4GPM, 100PSI, Self-Priming, Can Run Dry, Built-In Check Valve, Chemically Resistant Materials​

I have this setup:
• BRS 8 Stage RODI
• 150 GPD RO membranes x2 in water saver configuration
• Sediment filter, Carbon block, DI resin BRS kit

I'm hoping to get enough flow rate that I haven't been able to achieve with the Smart Buddie and Aqua-tec 8800.

My plan is to attach 1/4 push to connect -to- 3/8 NPT fittings onto the pump.

It doesn't seem like you can adjust the pressure (only the shut-off pressure), so I guess then the solution is to adjust the water source inlet or the waste ratio?\

Thanks!!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ... but since that is a constant-speed motor on a positive-displacement pump, you must install a pressure regulator downstream of it to control the pressure entering your membrane or you run the risk of rupturing it (or at the very least reducing its lifespan).

Ideally, you can add a pressure switch as well to cut off the boost pump when needed.

I'd recommend buying what you need from SpectraPure ... they do this for a living and sell upgrade kits exactly for this purpose.

OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ... but since that is a constant-speed motor on a positive-displacement pump, you must install a pressure regulator downstream of it to control the pressure entering your membrane or you run the risk of rupturing it (or at the very least reducing its lifespan).

Ideally, you can add a pressure switch as well to cut off the boost pump when needed.

I'd recommend buying what you need from SpectraPure ... they do this for a living and sell upgrade kits exactly for this purpose.

Thanks .. to clarify, the risk is rupturing the RO membrane because the input pressure is far too high?

And I suppose you're saying the input pressure is 100 psi, and the operating pressure of the membrane is .. whatever it's supposed to be .. it's the 150 GPD one, in series (so I assume the amount of pressure needed to "clear" both membranes is somewhat substantial ..) BRS pointed me in the direction of a commercial pump, as the typical ones wouldn't be enough for my application (and given the epically dismal water pressure within the house).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back