Common for a breeding pair of Banggai to kill each other?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair that has been breeding for a couple months. Got home today and the male that is holding eggs got shredded. I know they will pick each other off if kept in a group but I assumed once a pair formed they’d be fine. I moved the male to an acclimation box but I’m not sure if he’ll recover.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangai, like green chromis do indeed to tend to pick each other off one by one.
There are may accounts however of several living long lives together, just usually in a very large tank..

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other cardinal fish have a much nicer personality. I like Seale's personally, nice yellow color and will get along with conspecifics.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that a mated pair can be fatally aggressive toward other bengai's, but is it common for them to turn on each other? I've got a mated pair that have been breeding like rabbits in the 125 for over a year. They spend most of their time together. They also don't seem to notice the pajama cardinal. Any cause for concern?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there should be no aggression. Are we sure it was the female who did the damage?

OP
OP
J

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there should be no aggression. Are we sure it was the female who did the damage?

Yes nothing else aggressive in the tank that I can think of that pays any attention to it. Seems like he is doing better today in the acclimation box. I’m going to leave him there until he hopefully releases the fry.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange...i know a female will.constantly torment a male with eggs chasing and doing her lil take my eggs dance. But ive never had one do damage. Maybe once hes brooding you can immediately put him in a seperate tank or box until he releases them. Could also have a second male to swap in so the first could have some recuperation time in between batches.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back