Common Mistakes I Can Avoid as a Newbie

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm ready for my first hard coral and I think I'm going to choose a Monti species... What are some common mistakes made when first switching to hard coral...(I'd prefer to avoid them)? I know about alkalinity, calcium, pH, and how they relate. Are there any other common mistakes that are easily avoidable made by newbies?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting.
Ok...I live in Bangkok so unfortunately I don't have access the endless options like in the States...I am using a light I bought in America, and from what I remember it was rated pretty well. I can try to find brand/any identification to identify it but i don't think I'll find any

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, since you are in bangkok you should check out chingchais tank thread.He kept the most amazing Acros. Heres the thread
it is the most amazing tank. You might even want to go meet him, I would if i was in bangkok. I think he runs the Louis Leeman Seafood restaurant in Bangkok .

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm ready for my first hard coral and I think I'm going to choose a Monti species... What are some common mistakes made when first switching to hard coral...(I'd prefer to avoid them)? I know about alkalinity, calcium, pH, and how they relate. Are there any other common mistakes that are easily avoidable made by newbies?
Don't rush. Reef tanks need time. Just take it slow and add/change one thing at the time. Enjoy every addition. Learn more and do the next step.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rush. Reef tanks need time. Just take it slow and add/change one thing at the time. Enjoy every addition. Learn more and do the next step.
That does sound like some pretty wise advice...I actually worked as an extra hand for an aquarium store (primarily I just did the moving/stocking/warehouse type of stuff) but I think I remember one of the in-store employees telling customers that exact piece of advice...It makes sense too! Everyone starts out with so much energy, enthusiasm, and no consideration for the corals growth or the fact that they're causing a radical change in water chemistry. I know you're right about that. That's what I'm aiming to do, not only for the health of the tank, but for my wallet as well haha

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, here in Bangkok, I'm not sure where to go to get ro/di water...7/11 water contains 14 TDS. Is that close enough to pure in your opinion or does it need to be at exactly 0?

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that when reading and seeking advice, be cautious about any statements made in absolute terms. What I mean is that there are a few basic rules, but beyond that, no single piece of equipment is a “must” and there are certain steps that you don’t “have to” do. I work in a scientific field and while there is a lot of science applied to this hobby, most of what you’ll learn is based on a lot of good research, experience, and theory, but not a lot of absolute fact.

All that said, don’t try and re-invent the wheel. Things that have worked for hundreds of reefers will probably work for you. Just read a lot and make your own decisions. Don’t rely on a single opinion based on who happens to be online at the time.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
montiporas are a good starter. They do require high lighting but not as much as other sps and it can range. Depending on the type of monti, it can grow fast (and take up calcium). I have montis on the discs on sandbed & digitatas midway up/top & encrusters at all levels of my tank- they never have a problem taking what I throw at them. My advice is to make sure you don’t put them where you don’t want them to grow and, of course, monitor your alk & ca.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
montiporas are a good starter. They do require high lighting but not as much as other sps and it can range. Depending on the type of monti, it can grow fast (and take up calcium). I have montis on the discs on sandbed & digitatas midway up/top & encrusters at all levels of my tank- they never have a problem taking what I throw at them. My advice is to make sure you don’t put them where you don’t want them to grow and, of course, monitor your alk & ca.
When I'm trying to decide where to place it to receive those requirements, how can I tell which location it prefers? Is the opening of polyps the only way to tell or how can I understand what the coral is trying to tell me?

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, here in Bangkok, I'm not sure where to go to get ro/di water...7/11 water contains 14 TDS. Is that close enough to pure in your opinion or does it need to be at exactly 0?
It is not only for reef tanks. It is used for filtering any water. Just search for reverse osmosis - you should be able to find it in Bangkok.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not only for reef tanks. It is used for filtering any water. Just search for reverse osmosis - you should be able to find it in Bangkok.
I can find reverse osmosis water but the TDS sensor registered it at 14ppm... I know that's very low but I've been told by others here even 14ppm is too risky...I live on the outskirts of Bangkok and no taxi would want to pick me up since I would need a good amount of water and they already don't like driving to this area...In your opinion is 14ppm ok? thats the water from 7/11

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can find reverse osmosis water but the TDS sensor registered it at 14ppm... I know that's very low but I've been told by others here even 14ppm is too risky...I live on the outskirts of Bangkok and no taxi would want to pick me up since I would need a good amount of water and they already don't like driving to this area...In your opinion is 14ppm ok? thats the water from 7/11
It is always more convenient to buy an RO/DI filter and make the water at home.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt put water in my tank that has a TDS higher than 3. You can you can use natural sea water if that is a option for you. Or tell your local store to change there resin in there filters to bring it down.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt put water in my tank that has a TDS higher than 3. You can you can use natural sea water if that is a option for you. Or tell your local store to change there resin in there filters to bring it down.
That's one of the obstacles I have to get through...The closest fish stores aren't really stores, most of them are have rented space at a big outdoor market so I'll ask them about RO/DI water but I feel like they don't give a lot of care to the fish, they depend on turnover

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I'm trying to decide where to place it to receive those requirements, how can I tell which location it prefers? Is the opening of polyps the only way to tell or how can I understand what the coral is trying to tell me?
With montis I rely more on color than polyp extension but polyps are also a good tell.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks...I'm a newbie like I said so I'm not sure how to judge health.
Sure- the more vibrant the better... also you’ll be able to gauge by looking at what the same coral looks like in other tanks. overall health is easy to tell... fine tuning is an art that comes with experience. I went a solid year and my corals had great color (best I had seen) then I started dosing aminos (note: this isn’t me dose aminos... at least not yet) and realized even more color potential. In other words- as your process refines you’re gonna pull even more color out. If the system is stable and your corals aren’t brown then you’re doing great. Some of the higher end montis will challenge you to bring out their best colors... they won’t look bad but you’ll see a pink ring around the same coral in a buddies tank and want to figure out how to get it on yours :) case in point.. the jf altered ego.... I have it and it has a nice blue color- certainly doing fine in my tank, but if you look online, it can be so much more. (These are the types of corals i keep on discs and move around to see how they adjust)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back