Compact heater recommendation for Fluval EVO 13.5

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I’m venturing back into the hobby after a 15 year hiatus. Starting small - I went with an Evo 13.5. I’m looking for a recommendation on a solid compact heater for it. Based upon research, it looks like the Fluval M series May be a bit too long for the tank. I used to use eheim heaters and was looking at the Jager 50. But I’m not liking the reviews I am seeing. Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts. Thanks!

LVReefer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I’m venturing back into the hobby after a 15 year hiatus. Starting small - I went with an Evo 13.5. I’m looking for a recommendation on a solid compact heater for it. Based upon research, it looks like the Fluval M series May be a bit too long for the tank. I used to use eheim heaters and was looking at the Jager 50. But I’m not liking the reviews I am seeing. Would appreciate anyone’s thoughts. Thanks!
50 or 100 watt aqueon or whatever brand it is that petco sales will fit in the chamber of those tanks.

REM2021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved on from an Evo 13.5 and had a Fluval M 50 watt in chamber 2. It was too tall to fit in chamber 3 with the return pump and the cover on, but I had some mangroves growing out of chamber 2 so I wasn't using the cover anyway. Ended up sticking it in chamber 2 with the mangroves because in 3 it was snug against the pump and creating some vibration noise. I really liked it for the Evo in that it kept a very reliable, consistent temperature. When I broke the Evo down I tossed it in my new 20 gallon and it's just a little weak for that, but I like the performance enough I'll just upgrade to the M 100 watt rather than look at other brands. Prior to this heater, I had one that cooked my tank, so being able to trust my heater was the biggest factor for me. But, like I said, not a great fit (although in my case that didn't matter due to the mangroves). There are definitely more compact options out there, but I'm afraid I don't have very recent experience with them.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your time and the advice. Due to size constraints I think I’m going to go with the cobalt. Any suggestions whether the 50 watt will do? Or should I go with 75 watt?

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m still in the market for a compact heater to fit in chamber 3 with a sicce 1.0 pump. Seems as though the colbalts are discontinued. Anyone have any suggestions. Preferably looking for a 6 inch heating element but I may be able to go a little longer if I have to.

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a aqueon 100watt heater in my fluval evo and its about 5 inches long i think it fits perfect in the 3rd chamber of my tank and i also have the sicce 1.0 syncra return pump in that chamber i got the heater from petco

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m still in the market for a compact heater to fit in chamber 3 with a sicce 1.0 pump. Seems as though the colbalts are discontinued. Anyone have any suggestions. Preferably looking for a 6 inch heating element but I may be able to go a little longer if I have to.
if price doesnt matter, take look at the IM PTC heaters. I have heard great things about them and they look relatively small. Also I reached out to colbalt a few weeks about their heaters. the new ones should be coming out this fall.... Obviously I couldnt wait so i just got a pair of eheims.
The Jagers get bad reviews?
if you look at the reviews for any heater, they are all bound to have some bad ones. My two jagers have been working great and I have no complaints. Added an inkbird for extra layer of protection.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a aqueon 100watt heater in my fluval evo and its about 5 inches long i think it fits perfect in the 3rd chamber of my tank and i also have the sicce 1.0 syncra return pump in that chamber i got the heater from petco
Perfect. Do you know the mode number? Or is it the preset Aqueon? Having an algae bloom so I want to run a UV in chamber one. Need to move heater from chamber 2 for a media basket. This would be perfect fit for chamber 3. Thanks.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if price doesnt matter, take look at the IM PTC heaters. I have heard great things about them and they look relatively small. Also I reached out to colbalt a few weeks about their heaters. the new ones should be coming out this fall.... Obviously I couldnt wait so i just got a pair of eheims.

if you look at the reviews for any heater, they are all bound to have some bad ones. My two jagers have been working great and I have no complaints. Added an inkbird for extra layer of protection.
I have a

agreed. I’ve seen bad reviews for all heaters I have a Jager now and I’ve had no issues.

OP
OP
R

RobbieMaynard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up switching to a little aqueon 50watt that stayed at 78 degrees and sat in the 3rd chamber. Hooked it up to a inkbird controller and never had an issue.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back