Compatability Question

gryphontyphoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I've had a 125 gallon 6ft tank going for about 3 months. It's got about 40 lbs of sand and 60 lbs of rock. 34 gallon sump with a protein skimmer rated for a 180 gallon tank. Current stock is Snowflake eel about 1'3" a porcupine puffer 3" a Harlequin tusk 5" and a Picasso trigger 4"
So the questions I have are about further stocking, there are 2 fish on my radar. A Marine Betta and a dwarf lion. Based on what I have would those 2 be doable? Also was curious if I would be able to get an anemone in there with a maroon clown?

MVIMG_20200729_175448.jpg IMG_20200726_183532.jpg IMG_20200716_181904.jpg IMG_20200716_181852.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine betta doable and a great addition to that tank. Be aware they can be very shy and sometimes difficult to feed in the beginning. If you get one from an lfs already eating well, you're gold; if not they sometimes need live food like ghost shrimp to start. In this case it's best to start them out in an observation tank, they do adapt rather quickly.

The dwarf lion is another story, (my prejudice) but porc puffers are known nippers, and I don't like them with lions. These lions are also very challenging to feed, if you were to do this, they would need to be a very established eater before including them in your display. And another one of my prejudices, I recommend including live food as a regular part of their diet, and that wouldn't work in your tank.

OP
OP
gryphontyphoon

gryphontyphoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I do add some live ghost shrimp about 3 times a week, and hand feed krill about every other day. Are silversides good to feed the tank as a change of pace.

Idaho Lone Wolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Snow Flake Eel in your tank, you need to make sure the other fish need in your tank need to be fairly good sized. Your eel will eat any smaller fish. Eels are notorious for having bad eyesight, so watch your fingers when your hand is in the tank. Your eel may see them as food. I recommend you don't purchase any additional fish without doing good research on compatibility. IMO - you have some compatibility concerns already. Sorry, but you can't buy a fish and add to your tank just because it looks cool or pretty.

OP
OP
gryphontyphoon

gryphontyphoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Snow Flake Eel in your tank, you need to make sure the other fish need in your tank need to be fairly good sized. Your eel will eat any smaller fish. Eels are notorious for having bad eyesight, so watch your fingers when your hand is in the tank. Your eel may see them as food. I recommend you don't purchase any additional fish without doing good research on compatibility. IMO - you have some compatibility concerns already. Sorry, but you can't buy a fish and add to your tank just because it looks cool or pretty.
My lfs said that since the eels mouth was so small compared to the fish as long as I stay above the 3.5" mark I would be fine. Not disagreeing just trying to figure out how trustworthy my lfs is.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I do add some live ghost shrimp about 3 times a week, and hand feed krill about every other day. Are silversides good to feed the tank as a change of pace.

Krill should be fed very sparingly as it contains high amounts of thiaminese which binds vitamin B1. Some fish like puffers and eels can sometimes over indulge krill and this vitamine defiencency can prove deadly. Silversides is a good addition and I recommend Hikara brand over all others, the others are usually a species of silversides which also contains thiaminese. Krill and silversides many times becomes the only diet many predatory fish get, and they usually don't live long on this diet exclusively.

Other seafood items from the market are good additions as well; some of the things I feed include, shrimp with shells(sharp edges removed), squid, octopus, tuna, and salmon with skin. Tuna and salmon are fatty fish which contain a great amount of efa's which are necessary for long term health. You can also get formulas from the lfs that include a variety of chunky fish.

OP
OP
gryphontyphoon

gryphontyphoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Krill should be fed very sparingly as it contains high amounts of thiaminese which binds vitamin B1. Some fish like puffers and eels can sometimes over indulge krill and this vitamine defiencency can prove deadly. Silversides is a good addition and I recommend Hikara brand over all others, the others are usually a species of silversides which also contains thiaminese. Krill and silversides many times becomes the only diet many predatory fish get, and they usually don't live long on this diet exclusively.

Other seafood items from the market are good additions as well; some of the things I feed include, shrimp with shells(sharp edges removed), squid, octopus, tuna, and salmon with skin. Tuna and salmon are fatty fish which contain a great amount of efa's which are necessary for long term health. You can also get formulas from the lfs that include a variety of chunky fish.
So once a week with the krill or even less than that.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back