Questions about converting to predator tank

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240g established reef tank. I've been fighting a losing battle with algae. To the point of almost leaving the hobby. But before I do that, I've always wanted certain species of non reef fish. I'm thinking about moving fish to a qt tank and taking everything out, cooking rock and cleaning tank and starting over. So some questions I have:

I'm thinking of ditching my sand and going bare bottom. I'd like to have an eel, is this possible with no sand? Do they care?

Fish I'm thinking about are harlequin tusk, triggers, eel, angels and wrasse, and a puffer. What does one do, if at all, about a CUC? Keep in mind no sand.

I currently have a juvenile Koran angel, with a yellow eye Kole and yellow tang, both are big bullies to any new fish. Would these 3 be ok to put in with new fish, or should I sell them and not do any tangs?

Thanks for any insights!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zebra eel could care less about sand in the tank. They just want a good hiding spot in the rockwork. Most of the fish you want should do fine together and your established fish might try to bully them at first but it shouldn’t last. Keep in mind most triggers and puffers are no pushovers. If you’re planning on these type of fish then you’re basically deciding not to have a clean up crew lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back