Compatibility/Stocking Thoughts

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

I had a previous thread similar to this, but thought I would start a new one to avoid confusion. For reference, current tank is a 135g mixed reef (200g total system volume with sump). Current inhabitants are:

Yellow Tang - 5" (x1)
Two-Barred Rabbitfish - 6" (x1)
Ocellaris Clownfish - Pair

I am just about to pull the trigger on the following list from TSM Aquatics. Does anyone see any issues? Am I better off ordering 3F anthias and letting one assumedly transition or 1M2F right off the bat?

Convict Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Lyretail Anthias Trio (3F)
Brunneus Wrasse
Royal Flasher Wrasse
Philippine Exquisite Wrasse

Thanks for the input!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt add a convict tang with an established yellow, those are easily bullied. You will have fighting with that yellow being that size and adding the blue, how big is the blue going to be? And I would add 3 female anthias and 1 male if I were you. If it was me I would add 4 females and one male. Seems to work the best

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello:

I had a previous thread similar to this, but thought I would start a new one to avoid confusion. For reference, current tank is a 135g mixed reef (200g total system volume with sump). Current inhabitants are:

Yellow Tang - 5" (x1)
Two-Barred Rabbitfish - 6" (x1)
Ocellaris Clownfish - Pair

I am just about to pull the trigger on the following list from TSM Aquatics. Does anyone see any issues? Am I better off ordering 3F anthias and letting one assumedly transition or 1M2F right off the bat?

Convict Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Lyretail Anthias Trio (3F)
Brunneus Wrasse
Royal Flasher Wrasse
Philippine Exquisite Wrasse

Thanks for the input!
Adding those wrasses with that Yellow Tang isn’t going to be easy - they’re all very delicate species and don’t like any aggression from larger, more boisterous fish like tangs.

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With wrasses, it's best to have only one male to a grouping. If there's more than one male that can lead to aggression. Also, I've seen a compatibility chart that recommends caution with wrasses and anthias. That being said, I've also read that there is no issue from those who have actually had them together. So perhaps it has to do with tank size. Just a guess there.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With wrasses, it's best to have only one male to a grouping. If there's more than one male that can lead to aggression. Also, I've seen a compatibility chart that recommends caution with wrasses and anthias. That being said, I've also read that there is no issue from those who have actually had them together. So perhaps it has to do with tank size. Just a guess there.
Actually, when it comes to different species of wrasse, you can mix males together. It’s when it’s the same species that you want to have one male to at least one female.

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, when it comes to different species of wrasse, you can mix males together. It’s when it’s the same species that you want to have one male to at least one female.
Cool. I thank you. I actually thought I was looking up different wrasses mixed together. Apologies.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I thank you. I actually thought I was looking up different wrasses mixed together. Apologies.
No problem! Those 3 species are all compatible with each other it’s just a case of they’re all the more delicate species and that doesn’t often end well with large aggressive tangs like Zebrasoma species.

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding those wrasses with that Yellow Tang isn’t going to be easy - they’re all very delicate species and don’t like any aggression from larger, more boisterous fish like tangs.
Any suggestions on the best way to do it?

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt add a convict tang with an established yellow, those are easily bullied. You will have fighting with that yellow being that size and adding the blue, how big is the blue going to be? And I would add 3 female anthias and 1 male if I were you. If it was me I would add 4 females and one male. Seems to work the best
The blue and the convict are going to be right around the 3" mark. I'll see about adding 2 more females and possibly a male. Thank you for the input.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on the best way to do it?
Honestly I wouldn’t - They will likely wither away. The Brunneus should’ve gone in as one of the first fish to get in, they’re quite finicky to get settled.

If you absolutely must then the best way is through an acclimation box.

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I wouldn’t - They will likely wither away. The Brunneus should’ve gone in as one of the first fish to get in, they’re quite finicky to get settled.

If you absolutely must then the best way is through an acclimation box.
Understood and appreciate the input. Do you have some alternate recommendations?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue and the convict are going to be right around the 3" mark. I'll see about adding 2 more females and possibly a male. Thank you for the input.
If those tangs are not the size of the yellow or bigger I see that going poorly. Yellows can be very territorial. Use acclimation boxes.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually have had the opposite experience adding tangs.

I have two large yellows and a large gem. No aggression between them. Added a large hippo, had aggression the first 24 hrs and then they became best buds. Added a small blue eyed kole, they did not pay attention at all. Added a small purple, aggression the first 24 hrs but very mild and then they were all totally fine. My strategy has been to add 3 or more fish at a time when the lights in the tank were off and I’ve had great results. My chromis are much more vicious than the tangs.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have had the opposite experience adding tangs.

I have two large yellows and a large gem. No aggression between them. Added a large hippo, had aggression the first 24 hrs and then they became best buds. Added a small blue eyed kole, they did not pay attention at all. Added a small purple, aggression the first 24 hrs but very mild and then they were all totally fine. My strategy has been to add 3 or more fish at a time when the lights in the tank were off and I’ve had great results. My chromis are much more vicious than the tangs.
Yeah it depends on the fish for sure, convicts are just very shy compared to tangs and tend to get beat on. The hippo will probably be fine but its the convict that the yellow might go after!

OP
OP
R

RockyProndoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it depends on the fish for sure, convicts are just very shy compared to tangs and tend to get beat on. The hippo will probably be fine but its the convict that the yellow might go after!
And that's why I'm hoping that the sudden addition of ~10 fish will confuse the yellow enough to not focus all of his attention on the convict. The yellow is going to be a problem no matter what fish I add, so frankly, I feel as though this is my best chance at getting anything else in that tank.

If things do get really out of hand, I can try catching the yellow and putting him in the sump for a few weeks as well.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And that's why I'm hoping that the sudden addition of ~10 fish will confuse the yellow enough to not focus all of his attention on the convict. The yellow is going to be a problem no matter what fish I add, so frankly, I feel as though this is my best chance at getting anything else in that tank.

If things do get really out of hand, I can try catching the yellow and putting him in the sump for a few weeks as well.
You might want to consider putting him in the sump before adding the new fish and then adding him last. It may help reduce the territorial aspect of his aggression.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%

Back