Compatible Clowns?

Bauyer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is a clown I’ve had for a year and a half. Very aggressive, always bites my hand if it’s in the tank, and isn’t keen on new/other fish. Second pic is a clown I’ve had for a few weeks, I’ve gone through two others that didn’t make it for some reason, but this guy is going strong. I’m wondering if it would be ok to place them together or if it’s a bad idea. New one is about the size of a quarter. I thin the bigger one is a Premium Snowflake, and the smaller one is a Black I’ve Snowflake. If someone could give their opinion and maybe help with ID? Thanks in advanced!!
5bf67cb890d01dd9d55b1074f3c9f294.jpg
5b1cd5f33a96e95e77b5a7f8dad215ce.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have two different breeds in one tank in my opinion. But it isnt my tank :)

I'm not sure what you mean by "breeds" but these both appear to be ocellaris. If you're talking about morphs or pattern differences, they're just physical characteristics and don't affect compatibility.

IME ocellaris tend to be more aggressive and harder to pair than percula. I recommend introducing the new one via a clear container of some sort, so that the established fish can see the new one but not physically attack it.

Dolphin424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't have a problem with mixing 2 different variations of ocellaris clownfish. If there is a significant size difference they should be fine because they will already know who is dominant. I have mixed a tomato clown larger than a quarter with another tomato clown that was about the size of a penny and they have paired just fine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back