Big clown beating up little clown

BrightReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 1, 2025
Messages
46
Reaction score
28
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have the same two clowns since October /November of last year. My smaller clown isn’t looking so good and the bigger clown is beating up on the little one. Starting to looked stressed. Any tips? On letting the little one recover.

The bigger one has always been a knob. But this is different the little one is looking beat.
 
Best bet would try to put the smaller one in an acclimation box and let the female get used to him. Were they introduced around the same time?
 
Put the bigger one in an acclimation box for a week or so and see the interaction and test it again. Make sure the little one has lots of places it can hide from the big one. If there is torn don’s again it may not work. It’s not uncommon for this to happen as they get bigger.
 
I have a trick for this that has worked several times for me and my friends. Hopefully it works for you too.

Just net them out and put them in a bucket with maybe 2-3 gallons of tank water in it. Leave them in there for 10 minutes, but you can feel free to be around them. Then just put them and the water back in the tank.

The idea is that in this stressful state, they bond. I haven't seen it fail yet but I've only tried it 3-4 times (all with ocellaris clowns). My buddy reached out and tried it about 5 years ago (the most-recent instance) and his pair is still bonded.

I wish you luck!
 
I have a trick for this that has worked several times for me and my friends. Hopefully it works for you too.

Just net them out and put them in a bucket with maybe 2-3 gallons of tank water in it. Leave them in there for 10 minutes, but you can feel free to be around them. Then just put them and the water back in the tank.

The idea is that in this stressful state, they bond. I haven't seen it fail yet but I've only tried it 3-4 times (all with ocellaris clowns). My buddy reached out and tried it about 5 years ago (the most-recent instance) and his pair is still bonded.

I wish you luck!
That stopped it last night. I’m at work now so I will have to see how it goes. Thanks for the tips guys! Heck netting them was probably stressful enough.
 
Best bet would try to put the smaller one in an acclimation box and let the female get used to him. Were they introduced around the same time?
About 1-2 month span.
That’s still pretty early I’ve had clowns fight for months and settle down afterward. They still “correct” the male. I think you’ll have to give it a bit more time and just watch them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new