Compatible Wrasses

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a beautiful Timor Wrasse in my 5 foot reef & I absolutely love him/her!

I would love to get a couple more wrasses as they’re just so active and fun to have in a tank!

I would absolutely LOVE to add a Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse and some kind of Leopard wrasse once my tank has a bit more of an established amount of copopods.

Would the 3 be compatable or would I be best to stick to multiple wrasses from the same Genus?

Thanks - Noah

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 3 could work. I recommend using an acclimation box when introducing new wrasses to established wrasses. Established Timors can be especially rough on new wrasses so if possible add both the anampses and the leopard at the same time to reduce aggression.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three would be compatible, I have 5 wrasses living in the same tank completely fine, Unfortunately I have no experience with Timor wrasses however I have had experience working around the yellow tail tamarin wrasse (A. meleagrides) and three types of leopard wrasse, I’d recommend keeping them with more peaceful tank mates so avoid things like Scott’s fairy wrasses ect.. In my experience the yellow tail tamarin wrasse has been the least sensitive out of the whole genus and the more easy to obtain & keep leopards are Blue Stars (M. bipartitus) and Ornate Leopard Wrasse (M. ornatus), if you get them they will most likely dive into the sand bed for up to 3 weeks, DONT dig in the sand for them. I hope this advice helps you

also I read somewhere that apparently if you can try get them shipped with sand it increases chance of success a lot more because they won’t have any issues with the mouth from trying to dive into the sandbed that isn’t normally there.

another thing is, you should make sure the wrasses were in the LFS for Atleast a week and they are eating prepared foods along with making sure they have no issues and look completely healthy

The main issue comes when trying to mix wrasses of the same genus together when there’s an already aggressive wrasse in the tank I’m pretty sure, but if the fish don’t realise there’s been an addition then it should all be fine

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a video that states some good stuff about A. neoguinaicus that I think should apply to any of the anampses, macropharyngodon and Halichoeres genuses (essentially any of the sand burrowing wrasse) and it states on how important knowing the fish is eating, showing 0 signs of illness/“disabilities”, I think with some wrasse quarantine does more harm than good and honestly, I think tamarins are the wrasses that don’t do well with quarantine

OP
OP
Noah Hemingway

Noah Hemingway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a video that states some good stuff about A. neoguinaicus that I think should apply to any of the anampses, macropharyngodon and Halichoeres genuses (essentially any of the sand burrowing wrasse) and it states on how important knowing the fish is eating, showing 0 signs of illness/“disabilities”, I think with some wrasse quarantine does more harm than good and honestly, I think tamarins are the wrasses that don’t do well with quarantine
Thanks very much for your advice!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the Timor. I got rid of mine. Was just not working out with some others. I did use acclimation boxes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use an acclimation box, make sure to add sand in the box, I don’t use acclimation boxes and I probably won’t when adding an anampses to my tank and the main reason why is because of the stress it can cause similar to why I don’t qt fish but it’s that risk I’m willing to take but I also don’t use acclimation boxes because I somehow lucked out and got a mild Scott’s wrasse-

also, just before you add the wrasses I recommend feeding the fish to distract them just whilst the other two dive into the sand bed

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had experience with three of the wrasse from the same genus as the Timor wrasse (Iridis, chloropterus and leocoxanthus) and what I’ve had from them is they mind their own business as long as the other/new wrasse doesn’t bother them, I’ve had all three in tanks with “aggressive” wrasses, the leucoxanthus was in with an aggressive naoko and they got along because of how they’re different genuses but also how they have different colours to eachother, the iridis and chloropterus are similar to that however they’re co-existing with a Scott’s and have been for the past year or so, hopefully it stays that way if you see small squabbles of chasing that isn’t constant don’t worry, they’re just making an order of whose the most dominant wrasse but if it ends up with the anampses or leopard with ripped fins you need to interfere then

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone knows if two coris wrasses can co exist. I have a one yellow wrasse, one melanarus wrasse and one red coris wrasse. They interact perfectly. But I was hoping to add another juvenile red coris wrasse but haven’t heard any reviews about two of the same species in one tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone knows if two coris wrasses can co exist. I have a one yellow wrasse, one melanarus wrasse and one red coris wrasse. They interact perfectly. But I was hoping to add another juvenile red coris wrasse but haven’t heard any reviews about two of the same species in one tank
Two of the same species of any wrasse will go down hill quickly unless you add them all at the same time and you have 1 male to 2-3 females
If it was a red coris and say a Twin spotted coris, that would work (This is just an example) because of them being different species.

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the same species of any wrasse will go down hill quickly unless you add them all at the same time and you have 1 male to 2-3 females
If it was a red coris and say a Twin spotted coris, that would work (This is just an example) because of them being different species.
Thanks for the advice

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 15 in a 250g along with two tangs, mandarins, Falco hawkfish and a blenny. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

Edit- + 3 clowns and a huma huma too. We also have a harlequin shrimp, albeit really big, which no wrasse has taken a swing at that I've ever seen. The variety of species we house makes that pretty impressive really. Anyway, with ample space for growth & sleeping quarters in my experience most live well with each other. We have never lost a wrasse to aggression unless it was just a bit too small and acted like prey at any point.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 15 in a 250g along with two tangs, mandarins, Falco hawkfish and a blenny. It's a beautiful thing to watch.

Edit- + 3 clowns and a huma huma too. We also have a harlequin shrimp, albeit really big, which no wrasse has taken a swing at that I've ever seen. The variety of species we house makes that pretty impressive really. Anyway, with ample space for growth & sleeping quarters in my experience most live well with each other. We have never lost a wrasse to aggression unless it was just a bit too small and acted like prey at any point.
Now that’s a nice amount of wrasse, I have 5, soon to be 8 in a 100g (4x2x2) with 5 other fish

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much I have a 90 gallon and will soon be upgrading to a 180. In the 90 I have two tomato clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a giant 5 inch velvet damsel, a yellow canary wrasse, a melanarus, and a red coris wrasse. There are absolutely no problems in the tank. I also have a forty breeder that I put my juvenile coris wrasse in. But I wanted to add him to the 90 gallon but wanted to get a few opinions before doing so.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much I have a 90 gallon and will soon be upgrading to a 180. In the 90 I have two tomato clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a giant 5 inch velvet damsel, a yellow canary wrasse, a melanarus, and a red coris wrasse. There are absolutely no problems in the tank. I also have a forty breeder that I put my juvenile coris wrasse in. But I wanted to add him to the 90 gallon but wanted to get a few opinions before doing so.
If you can get a second red coris that’s female then you will have both an amazing trio and some nice wrasses
I just don’t know if it’d be over stocked with a third

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Hi does your tank have a lid? Just curious thx

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back