Complete Aipstasia Infestation = Aipstasia Giveaway!

Nick_Turbo

Rogue Aquatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, Reefers!

If this is in the wrong forum or area, please let me know.

So, my Waterbox 110.4 with over 175lbs of live rock is completely overtaken with aiptasia. I mean every inch of rock and even across the sand. My only option at this point is to do a complete reset, which I’ve come to terms with at this point. HOWEVER, before I start the reset, does anyone want some of this aipstasia for their nudibranch or other feeding purposes??

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a chelmon marginalis (a type of copperband butterfly) dealt with substantial aiptasia in my tank quite well, but it did take a little time.
Thinking of getting one. Marginalis butterflies are beautiful, though I'm concerned if they're reef safe or not, did yours ever give your LPS any trouble? If it's too much of a risk I'm planning to just go with pyramid butterflies

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to give it all away. I had a massive infestation after not taking care of a tank for a couple years and am now wrapping up with the last bunch of aiptasia. Berghia and Aiptasia-x will work to clear up the infestation.

IMG_1601.jpeg IMG_1597.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting one. Marginalis butterflies are beautiful, though I'm concerned if they're reef safe or not, did yours ever give your LPS any trouble? If it's too much of a risk I'm planning to just go with pyramid butterflies
My Copperband doesn’t bother any of my SPS, LPS, and Clams. I haven’t seen a single aiptasia after adding it and a zoster butterflyfish.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've got a file fish and 20 peppermint shrimp, going on 8 months, zero change…
That's an exception rather than a rule

AC aiptasia eating file fish from ORA sold by Petco never failed. Bought 4, put in 3 different tanks, all clear and I was battling it for years prior to purchase . They will jump if spooked.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time that I saw a Margined Butterfly, it was close to $1000.

If you have a filefish and peppermint, then help then out. Kalk those babies and knock them back. If you have thousands aiptasia, they can likely reproduce faster than they can be eaten. Peppermints will usually not eat the huge ones anyway.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back