Complete Beginner in Aquarium Salt

Data

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just have a few questions about preparing/mixing aquarium salt for my first tank (20 gallon nano). Firstly, I am having difficulty understanding exactly what I need to do because it appears to be done in a number of different ways. I am going to use Instant Ocean and have two 5 gallon Home Depot buckets. Perhaps it is a silly question, but can I just fill up my entire tank with freshwater (after adding sand and rock) and let it mix in there the first time since I would not have any livestock? That leads to my second question, which is do I have to have a powerhead for that first mix in the aquarium? I have a hang-over-the-back filter (rated for 70 gallon aquariums) which I thought would maybe get the job done instead. Maybe it would not have enough agitation though. Finally, in terms of mixing in my buckets, which I understand to be crucial when I have live stock, do I really need to wait all night before adding the water to my tank, and do I really need a powerhead for the job or can I just stir it manually? Also, if it does take a while, I imagine I will need a heater to keep it at the right temperature. Finally, do I need to buy a lid for my bucket while it is mixing?

Eventually, I will buy a powerhead for the 20 gallon nano but I don't plan on doing any corals until well after Christmas; I will just start with a couple of clownfish so that is why I am putting it off (although maybe the filter I have would provide enough movement anyway; if someone could confirm that would be great, though I am not convinced it will work). I do have a large powerhead (too big for the nano) that I have used in my African Cichlid tank that I could perhaps use to mix salt in the bucket if it is absolutely necessary.

I guess this also raises another question. Do I really need a powerhead right away for the nano (if at all) despite the fact I don't plan on doing corals yet? I just thought at the last minute that maybe the water needs to be under constant agitation in terms of keeping the salt dissolved in the aquarium, although maybe this is not an issue at all in terms of salt.

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOB filter is enough for circulation and agitated (no extra power head needed in tank yet).

Mix salt in your buckets first. Even for first time. It will take five min each bucket with a plastic spoon giving it a good stir. If you mix one bucket at a time you can poor from one to another, adding to mixing, then poor into tank.

Though that kicks a bunch of sand up. A power head attached to a hose to transfer water and for water changes is a huge plus.

Use RODI water. If you don’t have one, buy water from LFS. You can use drinking water in emergencies (though some may disagree).

All this was just my opinion. Have fun!!

image.jpg

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are no fish, sand and rock(preferably dry rock). If it’s dry rock add the salt right in No need for buckets mixing until the water changes. I would add the salt in providing it was dry rock first,. If it were live or cured rock, I would mix it in the bucks and let it sit over night. I Would find a cheaper power head and put it in the tank ASAP due to trying to understand the flow of the tank, stoping certain things from happening in the tank that you don’t want(dinos mainly). Also use rodi water otherwise you adore adding things to the dry rock that might attach and never leave the rock you are using. Since starting, I would get all the things you need for the tank first and then set it up. Don’t be impatient with things and taking your time will be key in the hobby. My last build was moving my tank to a new part of the house and I acquired things over the 5 months to make it easier. I had a lot but needed plumbing, tools, hanging light kits, tubing, check valves, to nails to hide some wires. Plan and the plan more. a previous build I rushed and had to go to Home Depot 3 times to get things. Lessons will be learned

JR Bodyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say welcome to the salty side.
The advice you were given was correct. You can mix your salt either way for the first time. I do prefer the bucket mix. I get my desired salinity measurement before I pour in. That’s just how I do it. You also might consider adding a good bacteria starter (Dr. Tim’s one and only Reef). That will help your tank cycle faster. Having said that, the advice given to you about taking your time and patience was extremely important and correct for success although it is very hard to do.

OP
OP
D

Data

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to say welcome to the salty side.
The advice you were given was correct. You can mix your salt either way for the first time. I do prefer the bucket mix. I get my desired salinity measurement before I pour in. That’s just how I do it. You also might consider adding a good bacteria starter (Dr. Tim’s one and only Reef). That will help your tank cycle faster. Having said that, the advice given to you about taking your time and patience was extremely important and correct for success although it is very hard to do.
Thanks Pal!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back