Completely unknown thing bothering zoa.

  • Thread starter Thread starter JakeNova
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JakeNova

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 9, 2026
Messages
93
Reaction score
57
Location
United states
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent been around my tank so much recently but ive been around enough to know that my purple people eater polyp hasnt been opening at all recently. I thought maybe it was due to moving it around but no. Its just staying closed. It loved this tank when i added it. Opening up on day 1 and always being open. The past 2 weeks its been closed and i finally see why. This tiny menacing thing. Its eyes are literally glowing
 
My thoughts were zoanthid spider of some sort but the apendages are all connected making this thing way bigger with long legs and a tiny body. I will check back tonight and get more pictures. I dont have time in the day right now to mess around with it.
 
IDK but in the video its not touching the zoa, have you ever seen it touch or crawl on the zoa? What about the zoa's beside, they are all closed too? Have you eliminated all other possibilities; parameters, lighting ,flow ?
 
IDK but in the video its not touching the zoa, have you ever seen it touch or crawl on the zoa? What about the zoa's beside, they are all closed too? Have you eliminated all other possibilities; parameters, lighting ,flow ?
Its physically on the zoa in the video. It doesnt appear to be eating it
 
If you have some peroxide I would dip it using 20% peroxide and 80% tank water for 3-4 minutes. That will take care of the algae and the critters.
 
It's a hugger.
Oh No Omg GIF by Rosanna Pansino
 
I see nothing in the video but some amphipods. They are not going to be causing issues for your zoas. They are a good cleanup crew and your fish will love them as a snack. People sell these to deliberately add to your tank (something I did). Did I mention my *fat* green mandarin?
 
Does it move? I see what you’re talking about, and it’s not the pods. This thing is actually on the zoa. It looks like a spider. I’d suggest taking the frag out of the tank and doing a dip.
 
Does it move? I see what you’re talking about, and it’s not the pods. This thing is actually on the zoa. It looks like a spider. I’d suggest taking the frag out of the tank and doing a dip.
Does it look like this?
1780657061986.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new