Concerned about jawfish, a little help please?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this earlier for back ground:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/yellowhead-jaw-staying-in-den.466550/

He finally uncovered his den entrance yesterday and today, but will not come out, he just keeps his head at sand level. I turkey basted some food down the hole yesterday and this morning, but not sure if he ate it. I just dumped a small amount of mysis in the tank hoping he would come out and get it, he did not, which has never happened before and has me concerned, he didn't even react to it.

He may be breathing a little heavy, but not 100% sure.

He went through full Quarantine, 30 days copper, 2 rounds prazi, Focus/Metro for 14 days before into DT an August 12th.

I can only see his head and don't see any white or black spots on his head.

Any thoughts on this? When I did a water change Saturday and moved just a small bit of rocks on the other side of the tank putting my arm in the tank, it freaked him out and that's when this all started.

Last edited:

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can do anything else. Up to the little guy now. I have a blue spotted jawfish. They are fun to watch. Hope yours starts to eat. I worry about mine eating enough at times. Then I noticed he came out early mornings while everyone else was still sleeping. So I started dropping small balls of mastick in the tank and he loves it. Fatter now. Good luck.

Shelley

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can do anything else. Up to the little guy now. I have a blue spotted jawfish. They are fun to watch. Hope yours starts to eat. I worry about mine eating enough at times. Then I noticed he came out early mornings while everyone else was still sleeping. So I started dropping small balls of mastick in the tank and he loves it. Fatter now. Good luck.

Shelley

Thanks, it's very strange. I'm not sure if he's sick or totally spooked.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He never ate and died. I think he had worms. From now on I'm treating every fish prophylactically for internals with General cure soaked food.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to treat them if they do not eat. I have 2 small regal angels in a hospital tank right now. Going to start treating for internal parasites tomorrow morning. They are both eating well thankfully.

I am very sorry the little guy did not make it. I had a little pearly jawfish years ago. It was actually more fun to watch than the blue spotted one. Might I suggest you consider one another time.

Shelley

Back