Concerned about silicone between glass panels

likvor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
First post :)
So two days ago I bought new aquarium and filled it up.
But on the right side there is almost glass on glass(picture attached).
Also glass thickness is 6mm but it has ground edges and there is 3mm that is siliconed on front panel.
Tank is 120 liters (30 gallons), 60x45x45cm.
Should this be cause for concern or not?

Attaching also picture of normal glass joint with silicone.

IMG_20220917_204108.jpg IMG_20220917_204107.jpg IMG_20220917_204053.jpg IMG_20220917_200416.jpg

OP
OP
L

likvor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else on this matter? Company that built this tank assures me that this is no problem. But I just want to be sure that there will bi no flooding in my apartment very soon :)

OP
OP
L

likvor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just quick update:
I have contacted aquarium manufacturer and he assures me that discoloration is due to silicone for that particular vendor. As the coloration for this particular black silicon is not synthetic anymore (apparently because sythetic additives lowers silicone ability to hold more than 300kg per sq cm, which is, in his words, also more than enough) there can be discoloration when bonded with glass.
And that ground edges have nothing to to with structural bond between glass panels. Ground edges have correct amount applied silicone for proper bonding altough it seems that there is no full thickness of glass in joint.

All in all he assures me that, if all parameters for deploying aquarium are correct( leveled stand and aquarium is filled with water and not dry, and not moving aquarium) that silicone and bond should last 10+ years.

From that particular vendor last aquarium lasted 9 years(from 2013).

And yes, I am aware that leaks can happen anytime, I was just paranoid that front glass won't fall off or explode like on youtube.

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to The Salty Crew. Looks fine to me. next time may want to take the pictures in white light instead of the blue to make it easier to see.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back