Conchman's Official Build Thread est. 2017

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this will be my official build thread, change thread, update thread, history thread and very likely the, I screwed up thread. So the 50 SCA grew from an IM 20. There was a 65 Frankenstein tank I fully expected to find on the floor due to a wonderfully sturdy pressboard stand that preceded these 2. I thought I would start here with a few pictures of the IM20 as some of the equipment and all of the corals migrated to the SCA 50. I bought a Marineland stand that would accommodate the future purchase of the SCA 50. The first picture shows the IM 20 setup, the second picture shows the IM 20 sitting on her end table (Yes, this fell into the "You used what" category. I will add some of the build and transfer pictures soon, when I moved into the SCA and then it's final and current place in the house.

IM20, circa 2017
IMG_0436.JPG

IM20 on temporary stand (yes, the two bottles were how I dosed back then)
IMG_0047.JPG

OP
OP
Conchman

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these are some of the pictures I took from the SCA build start. During some remodeling about 7 months after initial setup, the facilities manager asked if it could be relocated, I obliged. So now its in the aquarium/guitar room. I will add the move pictures later and that should get us mostly up to date, thanks for hanging out...

M

Man, new tanks look nice!
IMG_0033.JPG

Reef Octo Skimmer
IMG_0113.JPG

Trigger Emerald 20
IMG_0035.JPG

Stand painting in progress
IMG_0043.JPG

Fitting painting in progress
IMG_0053.JPG

Plumbing, 1st attempt, made a slight change before final assembly
IMG_0056.JPG

SCA getting wet for the first time...
IMG_0067.JPG

OP
OP
Conchman

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after I first setup the SCA 50 I had to move it across the house, fairly extensive renovation. We did some remodeling to the living room where the tank was, and I agreed to move it into the spare room. So here are some pictures taken from the move...good news, my wife was gone that day, so I had free reign, took over most of the house including the kitchen, thanks for stopping by...

M

Setting up the tubs for the frags
IMG_0154.JPG

I know we all have seen this from time to time, all our hard work, reduce to a
rubbermaid tote, softies, shrooms, and the clowns...
IMG_0155.JPG

Bigger hard corals, rock
IMG_0157.JPG

Fill er' up...tank in tis new home, getting everything back in, about 1/2 way done here...
IMG_0160.JPG

A little while after everything was finally moved in, the tank settling back in...
IMG_0233.JPG

OP
OP
Conchman

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So back at it again, 2 years I have had the tank set up, living with this for electrical. I had velco'ed the power supplies, controls, power strips, pretty much everything behind the tank, then ran out of room, so the side of the tank, ran out of room again, bending, contorting to try and see timer displays etc. So I got to work last week...

As always, thanks for stopping by...

Outside tank;
nRWgeOB+TJKW8lkH7YI4CA.jpg

Behind tank;
Vh8Wi%nTToWR6NTgiHLPqA.jpg

Now that i see this in pictures , I am really surprised I have not burned the house down...
So off to the store for pre-fab doors and some wood, starting to cut...
4xfvoO0sS4aqNSNVgBCLJg.jpg

Pre assembly, only to take the back off for some changes...
IMG_0003.JPG

Doors going on, this might actually work...
6mbVL31hQEuwTwo0tSwOZg.jpg

Inside of the cabinet, false panel, removable cutout in back. I have it in my head how I think it will lay out, I will still do a mockup with colored paper to be sure, before I drill and cut...
r0Dci9OlSFKzfp6ac%xeQg.jpg

Outside of the cabinet. I have a little wood skills, however I lack real working room and the real tools. I make do with what I have. This was completed in my garage in 40 degree weather. I am pretty happy on how it turned out...now to get to moving in the electrical, that could take another 2 years...
C+NevfX7TuqzHUbIdGjP6A.jpg

OP
OP
Conchman

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the electrical did not take 2 years. Got most of it done today. Pump control and supply, the 4 Vortech's and supply, and the Tunze controller all got dug out of the behind the tank mess and installed and hooked back up. just need to complete moving in the power supplies for the 2 XR15's. Only issues, chunk out of my arm, splinter of wood thru the end of my left thumb and sliced my right finger on the friggin' drill bit. But, all and all, happy with the out come. Agin, thanks for stopping by...

The electrical cabinets final resting place...
nlwToIoQQbqTJIr9ZHyW2A.jpg

And the electrical in place...
fwgpmUkwT22py6llScyxyA.jpg

OP
OP
Conchman

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, all right. My how time flies...Covid on its 3rd mutation, sold the house in Illinois, moved to South Carolina. Its January 2nd, sitting in shorts with the backdoor open and not paying any more Illinois taxes...win-win. The new house build is nearing completion so...time to start thinking of my next tank. Sold off the SCA 50 and sump. Kept all the expensive stuff, lights, pumps, skimmer. Looking at what the next build will look like. Having had the cube, thinking we more rectangle., less deep. Not sure of brand. Still want a sump so AIO's are out. Hoping for the 40-60 gallon range. Could do a 40 breeder "drill my own" style, not saying no. Any suggestions are welcome...let build!

OP
OP
Conchman

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a lot of research in the last week, narrowing down the next tank, I am looking for any opinions/suggestions. Thinking Fiji 48EXT package. That would include tank, stand, sump, top-off container and plumbing. The tank is 29" wide, so I hope to upgrade to the Fiji 20 sump. The stand should allow for the extra width and still have room for the ATO container. Then I would just need to decide on rock work, sand/no sand. I already have my Ecotech lights (Mobius), a new Varios return pump, my MP10's (Mobius), Reef Octopus 110SSS and my 3155 ATO. Anyone have experience with the EXT line or FIJI's as a whole?

TIA...
M

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back