Concrete rock curing................interiour rock salt?

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done curing some rock...or so I thought. Question for anyone who knows...
I made probably close to 50 lbs using portland cement, soft water rock salt and crushed oyster shells. I let it cure in water for over 2 months and just added more than half of it to my 180 gallon. It's been in the tank for roughly two weeks and it has not caused any changes to the salinity, PH or Alk. I just decided to break up some of the bigger rocks that were still in the curing bin and noticed there was still rock salt in the interior of the rock. I tasted it and it was salty. Will this slowly cause issues with the current rock in my tank?

OP
OP
GeoSquid

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to edit the title....should be interior rock salt.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id suspect the salt wouldnt be a problem, but high ph and alkalinity might if a rock broke in your tank.

OP
OP
GeoSquid

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I went back and broke a few more. I don't think it was salt crystals but pieces of fractured oyster shell that looked shinny. I put a lot of salt in and I was expecting the interior to be more porous that it is.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back