Second hand rock

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2023
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
1,467
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a good quantity (maybe 100lbs) of second hand rock for free from a long dead tank.

The previous owner had basically let the last foot of water evaporate so the whole lot were encased in salt crystals and so on.

They’re now in my garage in a brute can after several rounds of rinsing and will be cured.

I’m setting up a new tank - what should I expect to do to this rock to “rehabilitate” it so it’s suitable for use?

Dip in bleach, vinegar, mutation acid?

Or just leave and rinse and cure?
 
I got a good quantity (maybe 100lbs) of second hand rock for free from a long dead tank.

The previous owner had basically let the last foot of water evaporate so the whole lot were encased in salt crystals and so on.

They’re now in my garage in a brute can after several rounds of rinsing and will be cured.

I’m setting up a new tank - what should I expect to do to this rock to “rehabilitate” it so it’s suitable for use?

Dip in bleach, vinegar, mutation acid?

Or just leave and rinse and cure?

I just cycle it and go. You will have an initial phosphate spike due to the dead organics in the rock but this should clear. I have bleached rock in the past and IMO it isn't worth it. It just makes it take longer for the rock to mature. This picture is a tank started and cycled with dirty old dried rock then boosted with TBS live sand. The tank is 6 months old.
20260922_191509.jpg


This tank was also started on old dirty dry rock in the cryptic zone. This tank is 2.5 years old.
20260922_191914.jpg


All you are doing IMO by bleaching the rock is making it take longer for your tank to mature.
 
This is the best thing about reefing - for every topic there’s a clear and unambiguous consensus on the right way to do things 😛
 
Put the rocks in some saltwater and let it soak for a day or two then test the phosphate levels. I got second hand rock which had been cleaned but they still leached massive amounts of phosphates. A few rounds of lanthanum chloride and GFO fixed the issue.
 
Personally I would bleach the nasty rocks.

I’m leaning that way - particularly as this was from an estate sale so way to ask the owner how they ran their system… Though there are the remains of tube worms on the rocks so chances are at least they didn’t run a FOWLR with copper.

Looks like that had coraline though so maybe they did a decent job.



IMG_4983.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new