Cone snail

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a cone snail at my work but no-one knows what to feed it. I have done a little research, and some eat worms, where others eat other snails? Could be completely wrong but hey, that's why I'm asking!

Does anyone know what cone snails eat? This one has rings of spots aound it's shell.

reefless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cone snail???!!! Are you serious? Cone snails are highly venomous and can be fatal to humans

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we know that, I'm trying to find out more about the diet of it.

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a cone snail at my work but no-one knows what to feed it. I have done a little research, and some eat worms, where others eat other snails? Could be completely wrong but hey, that's why I'm asking!

Does anyone know what cone snails eat? This one has rings of spots aound it's shell.

94Roarge,

Please send me a picture and I can help identify the Cone type.

You need to identify exactly what Cone snail you have to determine what they eat. They are very specialized with what they prey on; their harpoon like radula and venom is designed for their target prey. I used to catch and keep them in tanks when I lived in Hawaii.

The most common species preyed on certain types of polychaete worms; some only targeted bristle worms and others only fan worms. They were the hardest to feed due to this specialized targeted prey.

The snail or molluscivorous species were the second most common and pretty much ate all marine snails. I had Textile, Marbled, and Penniform Cones and they ate any Cowries, Turbo, Conches, and even other Cone shells. I have a nice shell collection due to them. Most of the Cones with a tented pattern are in this family.

The fish-eating or piscivorous species were uncommon, but ate any live fish they could harpoon. Blennies, gobies, and any small fish they hunted. I actually fed them guppies and small tilapias I caught in local streams and ponds. Held the guppies in forceps and the Cone extended its proboscis, stung and pulled in the guppie. The most common I kept were Cat Cones and Striated Cones. Please note they will sting fish to big to eat, so larger aquarium fish can be targeted as prey.

The fish-eating Cones have the most potent venom but it takes a lot to get stung. You would have to handle them for a while and stress them to extend their proboscis to get stung. It is easier to get stung by Lionfish, so if you leave them alone and not handle them excessively you are good.

Kevin

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a photo?

...did you guys order it on purpose?
We did actually [emoji14] but I think I am the only one interested in it.
94Roarge,

You need to identify exactly what Cone snail you have to determine what they eat. They are very specialized with what they prey on; their harpoon like radula and venom is designed for their target prey. I used to catch and keep them in tanks when I lived in Hawaii.

The most common species preyed on certain types of polychaete worms; some only targeted bristle worms and others only fan worms. They were the hardest to feed due to this specialized targeted prey.

The snail or molluscivorous species were the second most common and pretty much ate all marine snails. I had Textile, Marbled, and Penniform Cones and they ate any Cowries, Turbo, Conches, and even other Cone shells. I have a nice shell collection due to them. Most of the Cones with a tented pattern are in this family.

The fish-eating or piscivorous species were uncommon, but ate any live fish they could harpoon. Blennies, gobies, and any small fish they hunted. I actually fed them guppies and small tilapias I caught in local streams and ponds. Held the guppies in forceps and the Cone extended its proboscis, stung and pulled in the guppie. The most common I kept were Cat Cones and Striated Cones. Please note they will sting fish to big to eat, so larger aquarium fish can be targeted as prey.

The fish-eating Cones have the most potent venom but it takes a lot to get stung. You would have to handle them for a while and stress them to extend their proboscis to get stung. It is easier to get stung by Lionfish, so if you leave them alone and not handle them excessively you are good.

Kevin
I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it up. So far we have it in a little insect tank inside one of the tanks at work and someone tried to feed it a fish when we first got it, but no go. I put a turbo in with it down the line and it lived in there for about a month [emoji14] the turbo is now an empty shell but I'm not 100% it was the cone whom is to blame. We have had it for more than 2 months and I am yet to know if it has eaten anything at all. Seems to still be going strong though.

When it first arrived it was covered in algae so we scrubbed that all off and yeah, it just stayed retracted the whole time.

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did actually [emoji14] but I think I am the only one interested in it.

I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it up. So far we have it in a little insect tank inside one of the tanks at work and someone tried to feed it a fish when we first got it, but no go. I put a turbo in with it down the line and it lived in there for about a month [emoji14] the turbo is now an empty shell but I'm not 100% it was the cone whom is to blame. We have had it for more than 2 months and I am yet to know if it has eaten anything at all. Seems to still be going strong though.

When it first arrived it was covered in algae so we scrubbed that all off and yeah, it just stayed retracted the whole time.

Great! I will look forward to the picture. What size is it? Most of the snail-eaters and fish-eaters are good size marine snails.

If it was a fish-eating or snail eater, they are very rarely covered in algae. They hide in the sand under rocks when we found them on Hawaiian reefs and their shells are covered in a thin slightly-yellow "skin" called a periostracum. Also , I reread your initial posting and from the description you gave it sounds like a worm eating variety.

Where did you get the Cone snail? I would be surprised that a LFS would be carrying them outside of Hawaii or some other tropical area.

Kevin

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Australia by the way [emoji14]
Size wise, it is the same size as the average stromb and the same shaped shell.
I think this one came from somewhere near the great barrier reef.

I'm really curious, I would love to take it home and keep it!

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australia! You are pretty close to the epicenter of # Conus species and considering there are 700+ species, it is going to be tough to specifically identify what one you have.

The fact that it had algae growing on its shell makes me think that it is a worm eating variety. Almost all of these types we would find had some form of green algae or coralline algae on their shells.

I can tell you whenever a snail or fish came near to a Cone in the tanks I had, you knew right away what it ate as the Cone would immediately extend its proboscis and try to sting the other animal. So if you did not see it sting and eat the turbine snail, most likely a worm eating variety.

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Australia! You are pretty close to the epicenter of # Conus species and considering there are 700+ species, it is going to be tough to specifically identify what one you have.

The fact that it had algae growing on its shell makes me think that it is a worm eating variety. Almost all of these types we would find had some form of green algae or coralline algae on their shells.

I can tell you whenever a snail or fish came near to a Cone in the tanks I had, you knew right away what it ate as the Cone would immediately extend its proboscis and try to sting the other animal. So if you did not see it sting and eat the turbine snail, most likely a worm eating variety.
Aha, I hope you will bear with me then! It took us half an hour to scrub the algae off it's shell, there was that much! The turbo that I put in there spent most of its time grazing on the cone shell, so I feel it surely doesn't eat snails!

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the photos

20170202_142406.jpg
20170202_142415.jpg
20170202_142422.jpg
20170202_142427.jpg

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha, I hope you will bear with me then! It took us half an hour to scrub the algae off it's shell, there was that much! The turbo that I put in there spent most of its time grazing on the cone shell, so I feel it surely doesn't eat snails!
Please tell me you got pics of that adorableness.

OP
OP
94Roarge

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
94Roarge,

Kevin
Did my pictures help any?

SoCoFlyFisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did my pictures help any?

Sorry for the late reply; been very busy at work!

The color pattern and shape of the cone indicate it is a worm eating or vermivorous cone. Tough to feed these in captivity as they tend to be very specific on the type of marine worm they feed on. They also are the most common cones.

The tented cones, called such due to the pyramid or tent patterns on their shells feed on other mollusks or marine snails. Examples are Textile Cones, Penniform Cone, and Marbled Cone. Here is a Textile cone: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conus_textile

Fish eating cones are more drab with tan colors or striated pattern. They are less "cone-shaped". Examples are Conus geographus (the most lethal cone), Striated Cone, and Tulip Cone. Here is Conus geographus : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conus_geographus

I hope this information is helpful.

JPeezy31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was wondering what kind of tank you keep it in (size), how you maintain the water, what sand do you use, etc.?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back