Confessions of a Lazy Reefer

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After my move from Atlanta to FL, I didn't think I would get back into the hobby. I tore down a lovely 125 DT with 30 gallon sump/refugium that I loved.

I couldn't help myself and after waiting 3 years I started a much smaller tank -- an AIO JBJ45. Don't have the room for anything larger and I freaked out when parameters bounced around due to a much smaller volume of water.

Now, the tank has settled in and.....here comes the confession....I seldom measure water parameters any more. I do water changes religiously every week, cleaning the skimmer weekly and the media baskets every other week. I wish I was as religious with dosing and feeding the corals. Sadly, that's more of a "hit & miss" schedule. I suppose if I was more faithful with dosing and coral feeding, the coral frags would all grow faster. But, currently, they all look healthy...albeit...slow growing (all except the hammer, torch, and acan colonies -- they are growing very well.)

Okay, that's it. Pretty dull reading, I'm sure. But, I got to thinking that I've fallen into the same lazy "testing" pattern that I had with my 125.

• Would I be right in assuming that many of you can now "look at your tank" and do a reasonable assessment of the overall condition? I don't mean knowing the dKH exactly, etc. but simply knowing that in general "all seems well".

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Sounds like you can too. Your coral is happy, tanks happy. That my goal.

There is a downside to over testing. Constant testing may lead to gut reaction to start dosing. You doing weekly water changes is really helping everything stable. I would set up a testing schedule and not kill yourself if you miss one. I would just say keep an eye on ph and Dkh.

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Imagines saying in unison with many many others "Hi McGene"*

I also am a lazy reefer when it comes to testing.
I do weekly water changes and I measure salinity and temperature on the tank and new water then. Other than that its just glancing at the monitors and making sure everything "looks right".

I think as the bioload becomes more robust that we probably should use more testing to keep a closer eye on things, but until then, I'll be lazy, haha.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rufus! I also monitor the pH and temp using an old discontinued Digital Aquatics system. Of course, I check the temp and salinity of my replacement water -- but, nothing else.
And, just for the record -- while I am a tab lazy about some aquarium duties -- I do take measurements now and then. I bought the digital testers since I'm colorblind and can't read the darn color charts.
Have a good day -- wherever you are in PNW ;)

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do better than me! I test alk If something really startles me , but not pH, CA, mg, etc.

I kinda live by your question/conclusion. I look at the tank, if things look off, there is a small chance I’ll check the alk, but more often then not, I’ll just mix up some water and swap it out.
That being said, I have been wanting to pick up a Milwaukee pH monitor, and eventually more Hanna checkers, but for now I’m happy just mixing water. :)

I’m about 2 hours north of Seattle and can’t hear a single car. :)
You have a good day as well.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my -- that's beautiful country. We have very dear friends that live in Oregon. One of the best pictures I ever took was of the Oregon coast line.
I'm in a rather isolated area of FL (not really near any major city). A significant change from my 40 years in Metro Atlanta. It sure took some getting used to -- but, we did it and love the peace and quiet. Only thing -- my LFS is a bit of drive ;Stig

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Oregon coast is one of my favorite vacation destinations. It’s beautiful up here, but soggy.
Florida is a place I’ve yet to visit, but very much want to. If I ever go I’ll have to ask where the best places to visit are. :)

My LFS’s are a bit of a drive as well. We have PetCo’s nearby and one guy who’s happy to sell you every pest he ever gotten, but the only stores I trust are about 50 miles either north or south.

OP
OP
McGene

McGene

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hulley -- what a risk taker! Do you check the salinity of your replacement water? I don't monitor the salinity of my tank water either -- just the pH and temp. I measure ALK, CA, and MG now and then -- hard for me to read the nitrate chart.

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hulley -- what a risk taker! Do you check the salinity of your replacement water? I don't monitor the salinity of my tank water either -- just the pH and temp. I measure ALK, CA, and MG now and then -- hard for me to read the nitrate chart.

Nope! Only because I’m still buying water from the LFS that I originally filled the tank with.
When I set up my water mixing station, I’ll buy a proper salinity checker.

Back