Confirm if this is Dino so I can treat.

Kmore1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since my dad has started his tank he has had a constant outbreak of this stuff. Ive never had it in my tank so I am not 100% on what it is but my best guess is Dino. Tank was started 12/25/16.

IMG_8628.JPG.jpeg

IMG_8629.JPG.jpeg

Scubabeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since my dad has started his tank he has had a constant outbreak of this stuff. Ive never had it in my tank so I am not 100% on what it is but my best guess is Dino. Tank was started 12/25/16.

IMG_8628.JPG.jpeg

IMG_8629.JPG.jpeg
@Kmore1219 --This is hard to distinguish on your dad's rocks from another type of algae called calothrix. Dinos look more brown in tanks, usually, and the strands on your dad's rock look a little green-brown to me, but I can't tell for sure with the lighting. If you have access to a microscope, pull a bit of a strand and take a picture of the cells and post here. To test more definitively if you don't have access to a microscope, do this: Take some strands from the tank and mix with some tank water (cover and shake vigorously, if possible) so that you can't distinguish the threads anymore (will look pretty much just like water). Place a paper towel on top of another glass and slowly pour the water mixture through the paper towel and into the glass. Let it sit in sunlight or under a bright light for a few hours. If it's dinos, the strands (that had been mixed thoroughly into the water when you poured it through the paper towel) will aggregate again in the glass; the individual cells will find each other in the glass and reform strands.

Check out this website to see the similarities in visual appearance between dinos and calothrix: https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

I hope it's NOT dinos, but if it is, there are several threads here where you can look for help. :)

OP
OP
Kmore1219

Kmore1219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the dinos look to be completely gone but have now been replaced with something else. It looks like hair algae but does not grow like the other hair algae i have come across, also my sea hare doesn't touch it.You can see some sand stuck to the algae, not to be mistaken as bubbles. Any idea what I've got now?

IMG_8663.JPG.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back