CONFIRM this is ICH Please - First time DOSING COPPERSAFE

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening Reefers,

Onto my first time having to dose Copper Safe in my QT tank. I normally hit new fish with two doses of Prazipro spread out every 6 days. That went succesfull and then as of today, which was day #16 my Flame Angel displayed signs of ICH!! SOB!! I’ve been smart and quarantined all my fish but this is the first time I’ve actually encountered an outbreak of ICH.

I have attached a photo just so someone can in fact confirm that this is ICH. I am slowly raising the Copper safe levels up to 1.75 over the course of 3 days!

@Jay Hemdal

8B70470A-4F21-4B2E-9F7A-55AD32A6967C.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe needs to be ramped up faster than that when there is active ich. I put fish directly into full coppersafe all the time. Too often I see people "ramp up slowly" which lets the disease gain a foothold, and then coppersafe has a difficult time working. This slow ramp up idea is extrapolated from old school copper sulfate/citric acid formulations that nobody uses anymore.

I also always dose copper first and then prazi, as flukes are so much slower to kill a fish than are protozoans. Again, I keep seeing people dose with prazi first and then they are behind the curve because a protozoan gets started during that time.

Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coppersafe needs to be ramped up faster than that when there is active ich. I put fish directly into full coppersafe all the time. Too often I see people "ramp up slowly" which lets the disease gain a foothold, and then coppersafe has a difficult time working. This slow ramp up idea is extrapolated from old school copper sulfate/citric acid formulations that nobody uses anymore.

I also always dose copper first and then prazi, as flukes are so much slower to kill a fish than are protozoans. Again, I keep seeing people dose with prazi first and then they are behind the curve because a protozoan gets started during that time.

Jay
Okay, I will ensure I get Coppersafe to maximum dose today. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I have a flame angelfish, two bimac anthias & one Captive bread yellow tangs. Any of those you have heard being super sensitive to copper?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree coppersafe set at the reccomended dose of 5ml for 4 gallons. Let that go about a month and then prazipro

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree coppersafe set at the reccomended dose of 5ml for 4 gallons. Let that go about a month and then prazipro
Well, I can’t reverse what I did now. I’ve dosed Coppersafe and tested with Hannah copper test and it’s at 1.70.

I will need to hold in this range of 1.50 - 2.00 for 14 days for curing this ich correct?

@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will ensure I get Coppersafe to maximum dose today. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I have a flame angelfish, two bimac anthias & one Captive bread yellow tangs. Any of those you have heard being super sensitive to copper?
Flame angels and Bimacs don’t enjoy copper, but they enjoy ich even less (grin). Copper safe is well tolerated, you already partially dosed, so you can go to full dose now.
Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angels and Bimacs don’t enjoy copper, but they enjoy ich even less (grin). Copper safe is well tolerated, you already partially dosed, so you can go to full dose now.
Jay
Done & thank you again for your quick feedback!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
It's going to take a long time to purge all this talk of "ramping up" CopperSafe.
:(
I know, it is firmly entrenched....just like “drip acclimation for ten hours” was about a decade ago (grin)
Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Hey Jay,

Happy Holidays to you! Can I add ceramic media such as Marine Pure Bioballs to the QT tank or will they absorb the copper. I’m going to keep these guys in therapeutic range for 30+ days and want to have more biological filtration.

Please let me know your advice & thoughts!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Hey Jay,

Happy Holidays to you! Can I add ceramic media such as Marine Pure Bioballs to the QT tank or will they absorb the copper. I’m going to keep these guys in therapeutic range for 30+ days and want to have more biological filtration.

Please let me know your advice & thoughts!
Ceramic is fine for use in all types of copper treatments.

Happy Holidays!

Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears the ICH that was on the flame angel is completely gone. The Flame Angel is now looking stronger and a more aggressive eater of pellets soaked in Selcon & diced up frozen clam, muscles & LRS Fish Frenzy.

Since I’m keeping the fish in the same QT with the COPPERSAFE level @ 1.95 ppm my question is how long do they need to stay @ this therapeutic level? I have done some reading and it sounds like 30 days. I got COPPERSAFE to therapeutic level on 12/22 so I assume keep the Copper level @ 1.95 until 01/27 to be safe?

Then would I remove COPPERSAFE and observe the fish for another 14 days?

@Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears the ICH that was on the flame angel is completely gone. The Flame Angel is now looking stronger and a more aggressive eater of pellets soaked in Selcon & diced up frozen clam, muscles & LRS Fish Frenzy.

Since I’m keeping the fish in the same QT with the COPPERSAFE level @ 1.95 ppm my question is how long do they need to stay @ this therapeutic level? I have done some reading and it sounds like 30 days. I got COPPERSAFE to therapeutic level on 12/22 so I assume keep the Copper level @ 1.95 until 01/27 to be safe?

Then would I remove COPPERSAFE and observe the fish for another 14 days?

@Jay Hemdal

That is what I would do, but some people opt for shorter time periods.

Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 4 fish doing well. Currently feeding them pellets soaked in selcon, frozen clam slices mixed with Nori, frozen muscles & live white worms. All signs of ICH are gone visually on the fish.

I still have until 01/27 to hit 35 days of Copper to be ultra safe. Still changing water and holding the COPPERSAFE level @ 1.85 - 2.00 ppm.

If all works out I think I with always treat most fish with COPPER so I’m not set back an extra 45-50 days.

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been in Copper for 30 days now. Is the 14 day observation completely necessary or can they now go into my DT since there have been 0.0 signs of ich and the fish all have healthy appearance.

Currently ich does not exist in my DT.

#reefsquad @ReefSquad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have been in Copper for 30 days now. Is the 14 day observation completely necessary or can they now go into my DT since there have been 0.0 signs of ich and the fish all have healthy appearance.

Currently ich does not exist in my DT.

#reefsquad @ReefSquad
As I said, I’d watch them for another 14 days, but that depends on your risk tolerance, the relative value of the fish in your DT and how well they are doing in the QT. If they are thriving in the QT, you can still enjoy them there.
Jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, I’d watch them for another 14 days, but that depends on your risk tolerance, the relative value of the fish in your DT and how well they are doing in the QT. If they are thriving in the QT, you can still enjoy them there.
Jay
Smart play, always error on the side of caution I suppose :)

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my QT tank on my desk at work so I can enjoy them throughout the day. Reduces the temptation to cut things short.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back