Confirmed stunted Acropora growth from Caulerpa?

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had confirmed experiences of stunted/inhibited growth from the presence of Caulerpa species? What I mean is:
A) did your growth noticeably increase after the removal of Caulerpa?
OR
B) did your growth noticeably slow after the addition of Caulerpa?

(and if so - with what species)

Background:
Apparently Caulerpa algae species generally (or perhaps all) contain toxins in varying amounts. I have seen it hypothesized that that the presence of this algae in a tank could inhibit the growth of Acroporas or other SPS corals.

From this article:
"Caulerpin was present in C cupressoides, C.paspaloides, C. prolifera and C. sertularioides in amounts varying from less than 1 mg to 5.47 mg per dry gram of alga. Caulerpicin was found in C. ashmeadii, C. paspaloides, C. sertularioides and C racemosa var. uvifera in lesser concentrations ranging from 0.03 to 0.09 mg per dry gram of alga."

Though it's not entirely clear how toxic these substances are nor how much one would expect to be released into the tank.

I currently have a large amount of Feather Caulerpa (Caulerpa Paspaloides) in my tank which came in as a hitchhiker on my Gulf Live Rock. I liked the look of it and never considered its presence could be harming any of my corals. My birds nest and stylos have seen rapid growth, though this is probably expected. Acro growth has been noticeably slower (though again - not necessarily unexpected). Very much interested to see if anyone has had negative experiences with Caulerpa (beyond the "going sexual" phenomenon).

IMG_2104.JPG

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some caulerpa in my fuges but never noticed any issues. This is also the first I've heard of them carrying any sort of toxin so this is news to me.

OP
OP
SFREEF3R

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did find an instance where an individual reported RTN immediately after trimming Caulerpa (though as a one-off event it is difficult to infer causality):

Acropora granulosa RTN after trimming Caulerpa

and a scholarly article showing Caulerpa displacing Acropora in the Maldives:

Acropora muricata mortality associated with extensive growth of Caulerpa racemosa in Magoodhoo Island, Republic of Maldives

Though it's not clear to me whether the mechanism for displacement is just overgrowth or actually some sort of chemical warfare.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back