Conflicted about sump/refugium for my 13G...

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently cycling my 13G nano cube and I’m completely torn on wether or not to go the extra mile and sump my tank.

The benefits are obvious, but I guess my question is - has anyone ran their nano without sumps and with success?

If I want to sump my tank I’m looking at the Eshopps Cube Nano Refugium, overflow box, ATO system, skimmer, refugium starter skit, refugium light, etc etc etc. Easily another $600-$700, which I don’t really mind spending but it’s a lot extra.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some of that decision may be based on what you plan to keep and if you will be able to consistently do weekly water changes. If you look at the nano tank section of the member's tanks forum, I think that you will find that many people are running nano tanks without sumps and achieve good results. Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
OP
finn_reef18

finn_reef18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of that decision may be based on what you plan to keep and if you will be able to consistently do weekly water changes. If you look at the nano tank section of the member's tanks forum, I think that you will find that many people are running nano tanks without sumps and achieve good results. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Thank you! I’ll take a look!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not familiar with a 13g nano cube. Who makes it? Is it an all in one?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok just searched to find your build. So you’ve got an 11g cube, non drilled. There is still a lot you can do.

You could put an all in one insert into this tank, or run it filterless and let the rock be your filter. Powerhead and heater could be the only items in your tank. You would want a lighter bioload but could still create a great looking tank.

You could drill the tank if non tempered and add bulkheads or an overflow. Or get an hob overflow. Go DIY, save money.

And all those items you listed, do you feel you need all those things? Or are refugiums your thing and you want to build that out? You could add different types of macro algae and make your display a macro shrimp goby tank. Plenty of options.

There is another site that specializes in nano tanks, you might search for it and get additional ideas and motivation.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back